Thursday 3 June 2021

THIRTY PLUS Ep 3

Story by O'nezer 




Episode 3.


"Hey big sis, don't worry much about me, just cover up for me whenever dad and mom ask after me. You may not be able to reach me for now." I read the text out loud. 


Why will Grace send this kind of message and many other questions ran through my mind.


Oh! Grace is my younger sister and she is the replica of my dad.  She is 28 years already but her baby face and small stature can be misleading and make you will think she is a young school leaver seeking for admission. 


Grace doesn't really share her issues with people, as she hates being a burden to anyone. She prefers to deal with her issues, except it's beyond her power. Many times, i have stumbled on her talking to herself and playing all alone, even since we were kids.


She finished school at 21 and got a job with an auditing firm, so I can say she is doing very fine. Considering this, i can't say the issue is LACK, definitely not. She earns well.


 I tried calling her line, but it was not reachable. I checked her out on WhatsApp, but she was offline, plus she even turned off her last seen. 


One thing about  me is that i can be "over" in anything.  From being overlyprotective to being an over thinker and any other 'over' you can think of.  I started connecting all possible dots in my head but none matched.


After my fruitless brainstorming, i laid the  matter to rest and set out for work. I tried not to overthink what was going on with my sister, since  worrying would give me no answers.


I got to work and settled into the day's activities. I had a news reading for 7am and a weekly show for 2pm. Working in the media has always been my dream and I'm so enjoying every bit of it. In fact I really do not see myself doing anything other than media, that's how much I love my job.


Watching news casters read news on TV, especially with their voice tone and reading style, got me captivated to media from childhood.  With the support of my parents, i pursued  Media Communication and Advertising for my first degree and I came out excellently with a 2.1. 


Immediately after my undergraduate course,  my parents  quickly pushed for further studies. My dad had always emphasized that his two daughters must have at least a master's degree before marriage.  


My father has a thing for education. He is always in support of good education and he has always proven that, because the way he carries anything that has to do with academics,  is always extra. With my father, you cannot miss school  ooo, except you are very ill. He doesn't mind spending his last cash to give us the best education. 


At a time,  my father told me that if  husband is not forthcoming, I should enroll for my Ph.D. In fact, it has been a thug of war between me and my him,  for not having  started my PhD by now. 


I kept on trying my sister's line all day. Her number has been unreachable, which is very unusual of her. I don't even know what to think again. To make the matters worse,  she doesn't work in the same town with me. Otherwise, i would have just boarded a taxi or cab to her place,  but we are like 3 hours apart. 


"Gloria,  have you heard from your sister, it's been 2 days oo?" My father who has also been trying to reach her said.


I told them the truth of me not hearing from her yet, but I concluded that she should be fine wherever she is.


After the 3rd day that we haven't heard from her, my mom couldn't calm down anymore. she had started thinking of whom to call and whether to travel to go see her or not.


I tried to make them worry less, but all  my mother kept saying was that ' since I have never given birth , I won't know what it means to be worried for a child.


We had our family devotion that night and everyone went to their rooms. I still tried to have my own personal talk time with God. There were so many pressing issues in my heart that I needed to pour out to Him.


Me sleeping off during prayers wasgradually becoming a trend and it didn't seem like it would end soon. 


What woke me up at the middle of the night this time around wasn't my alarm but a shout.


"Fire?" I shouted.


28 DAYS TO GO FOR SISTER DABIRA PART 2



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...