Tuesday 30 July 2019

Beyond the shade

BEYOND THE SHADE
(Episode 2)

That Friday, the bell rung and you could feel the excitement in the air, in that our VS would be here in a few days time. Dan had finished his exams on Wednesday and since then, mom had been taking him along with her to her office.

If I hadn't been in Primary 5 or I hadn't going to have a few presentations at the end of the year program, I would also have a reason to not go to school till the Vs day.

Ever since Mr Tunde sudden disappearance, dad had either been asking his driver to come pick us and take us to mom's office or mom tried to close earlier to come and pick us at school.

That Friday, it was the driver that came to pick me. When he came, I had Onome, my friend with me. Onome was my closest female friend then. We attended the same church and our parents were friends. Whenever Onome's parent buys clothes or shoes for her, they sometimes buy mine, this showing how close our families were.

That same afternoon, Onome was with me but since her own house wasn't as far as mine, she dropped at the first junction right outside school.

As at the time she dropped, I was already dosing off. Uncle Musa on the other hand was trying to make me and Onome laugh by asking us to spell some words which we did and we would laugh when he couldn't spell a couple.

Ahead, as we were about taking the lonely path that led to mom's office, we could see three young guys about the ages 25-30 were stopping cars and were checking the car documents.

When It was now our turn, I thought it was the car documents they wanted until I noticed one of them checking his phone to confirm something.

The next thing they did was to open the car's rear door and instructed Uncle Musa to keep driving. Uncle Musa tried to argue and refuse but one of them gave him an heavy punch in his left eye. He obeyed and drove as instructed.

It had been an hour that we've been on the road and slowly we were driving out of the town where we could shout or seek for help. I wanted to shout, scream or maybe act funny but the fear of the punch kept me muted. If Uncle Musa could be injured in the eye just because he resisted, what would happen if I screamed. They would probably strangle me.

Suddenly a phone rang.

"Who get the phone wey dey ring?" one of the boys asked.

 I guessed it was mom that was calling already, but the guy that gave Musa a punch seemed to be really wicked.

"Don't pick that call." He said in a commanding tone, but uncle Musa dared to anyway. Before he could lift the phone up, he was served a slap.

The slap made uncle Musa loose control of the car for a moment and the car swerved left and right on the road before coming to a halt.

"Spider dey talk, you dey disobey. E be like say you no sabi person." The second boy said.

Some minutes later, we approached a gate. What I saw was astounding.

Watch out for what next

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...