Saturday 3 August 2019

Beyond the shades. Episode 6

BEYOND THE SHADE
Story by O'nezer

Episode 6

At about 11am that morning, we  heard a knock on the door. Again. I still imagine why they always knocked seeing we were being held hostage.

And even though i knew we were in a dangerous situation, I was getting hungry and growing tired as each moment passed. I secretly wished aunt Bukola was at the door and hopefully she brought us food and have thought of a way to help us out of the house.

I could see fear written over Uncle Musa's face. He walked reluctantly to the door and opened it. He gasped, rather too loudly.

"Thank goodness!" He whispered.

I looked up and guess who was there... Aunty Bukola!

I was so excited. Aunty, has I knew best to address anyone older than I was, brought us food - garnished noodles and yogurt.

I was thinking Aunty Bukola would tell us how to get out of here as she promised, but the news she brought to us further broke my heart.

"They knew I was here last night and it was frowned upon." She said calmly.

The news instantaneously made me lose my appetite. I had just 3 spoons and left the rest.

About two and half hours that baba had gone and as time went by, everywhere seemed scarier  than before, and since we had no clue of what was going to happen to us, we just followed every instruction.

As we waited, different thoughts going through our minds, there was a knock at the door. When uncle Musa opened the door, it was the guy that came in earlier with the scarf to blindfold us.

"Mr, let's go and this time around, I pray you come back alive." The huge guy said.

He tied our face again and led us through the way. This time, we were asked to sit and not kneel like the first time.

Baba started with his songs and later started chanting, this taking about thirty minutes.

After that, Baba requested that they should take Uncle Musa away. "Remember the sacrifice requires the blood of a young girl, so take this man back. There is no room for delay again because we have to do the renewal today, if not..." Baba said angrily.

"We all know what happens if a renewal isn't done every three months." I heard, but I still couldn't comprehend what needed to be renewed and why.

I sensed uncle Musa had been taken away and I was left with Baba and a few other people in the room.

Baba asked one of the guy to remove the blindfold. To my greatest surprise, it was Mr Tunde.

He was equally as shocked as I was. That took me back to why the HM said 'he had better flee.'

"Guys, you picked the wrong girl. Now I know why all the sacrifice and all wasn't working on her." He said with an hint of shame in his voice.

"Look, I know who she is, and I have always known Sandra as quite different from other pupils that I have been sending to Madam Adeniwura."

**********************

Madam Adeniwura. She was one of the rich and well known woman in the outskirt of the town. Everyone had assumed and associated her source of wealth with her presumable hardwork.

Unknown to others, Madam acquired her wealth through a blood renewal plan which required the use of girls between the ages seven to eleven.

Mr Tunde's father died a year ago and he believed in his father's work, and that was why he made both teaching and his father's work a part time job.

****
Before anyone could say anything else, I asked where Uncle Musa was and after Baba nudged one of the guys to speak, I was told he had been killed. I couldn't believe it. Rapidly, tears flowed down my cheeks, but before I could burst out crying, we heard a shout from one of the rooms.

 "What's going on?" Baba said. Everyone looked equally confused as they all rushed towards one of the rooms, leaving the teary-eyed me.

What happened?

Watch out for the next episode to find out.
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...