Tuesday 15 June 2021

THIRTY PLUS Ep 15

Story by O'nezer 



Episode 15 


I struggled to stand up from bed. I looked at the wall clock and realised that the time was past 10AM. 


"Your sister is on her way already and she is close by" my mother said as she walked out of my room.


I had a shower and wore a simple gown. Mom wanted to treat the lucky man to a special delicacy, so she prepared ofe onugbu and pounded yam, an indigenous anambra meal. She already set the table with the mindset that once my sister comes, we would eat first and then get to talk.


There was a knock on the door and finally, my sister and her guest walked in, hands locked together. She wore a simple ankara maxi gown, while the young man wore a well tailored powdered blue native attire.


"Segun!!!   Are you for real? I shouted.


"Gloria?" He said.


I couldn't believe my eyes as I wiped my face repeatedly, leaving everyone confused as to  how I got to know Segun.


I relayed the story to the family of how Segun would call day and night  because he wanted to marry me, but I kept declining. I was disgusted by his sight and the fact that he wasn't born again was a big turn off for me.


After breakfast that morning, I was curious to know how Grace and Segun met. I know few months ago isn't the same as today. 


"If you remembered the last time I called, I told you i had something I wanted to share with you and you promised to call back, but you didn't" Segun started.


I felt really bad for  ignoring him all along.


"After I was repeatedly rejected by Gloria here, one Friday night on my way back from club, I had an encounter that changed my life. I started feeling a sharp pain in my chest and it went on for 2 weeks. One of the moments was when I called Gloria so she can lead me to Christ but she wouldn't pick my call" he said while sitting up.


"A church team was on a visit to the hospital i was admitted in one Sunday and that was how I met this my lovely and wonderful fiance. She led me to Christ and since then, I have been living for Him and Him alone" he concluded and guilt flooded my heart.


I apologised and told him about how I prayed for him once a while too and he said he didn't hold anything against me as well. My parents were happy to see how everything  turned out to be. They prayed for them and we caught up on other gists. 


"We will like to be on our way now so we can get home early." Segun said. Segun came with his car and they bid us bye as he drove off.


The thought of  how I failed to win a soul for God all in the name of allowing emotions to lead instead of the Holy Spirit haunted me.


All through the weekend, I didn't hear from Jude, he wasn't picking his calls nor replying  messages online. I got to work on Monday and I asked of Jude, but I was left with a big shock hearing that he drove into a pole that crashed his car and left him injured brutally on Friday. 


"How did you know?" I asked one of the guys at work and he said that passersby found his ID card and told the MD about it.


I cried and cried, I wasn't myself all day till we closed from work. I quickly rushed to the hospital and realized that he was on oxygen. 


"His chances of surviving is slim. He has been in coma since Friday ma'am" Doctor Pius said.


3 days later, I went to the hospital to check on him again, but to my surprise he was not in his ward. I asked if he had been transferred to a bigger hospital for better treatment


"We tried our best but we lost him" Doctor Pius said and I broke down in tears 


His family was contacted and the burial arrangements was set for a week later as they  didn't  want his corpse to stay too long in the mortuary. 


I had grown so found of Jude and it was hard to let go of him. It took a while for me to accept the reality of his demise. I became completely withdrawn from everyone and everything. I could hardly concentrate at work.


3 months after my sister and Segun's first visit to our house, the wedding date was fixed and preparations began gradually.

16 DAYS TO GO FOR SISTER DABIRA PART 2




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...