Tuesday 1 June 2021

THIRTY PLUS Ep 1

 THIRTY PLUS

Story by O'nezer 


Episode 1.



"As long as I am your mother, it is Emma that you will marry" my mother said angrily. A conversation that started on a friendly note was now turning dramatic.


"As long as there is God on the throne, I will wait for the right time" I blurted out. I didnt know where that confidence came from or should I call it boldness?


My mom and I have always lived like cat and rat in the house. Many times when we get into our premium disagreements, my father will just sit and  watch like someone in the cinema.


My father happens to be a calm and reserved person, who doesn't like to talk much. He prefers to work in the background, as he does not like the spotlight.  My  mother on the other hand is the vocal and social one. She  is always here and there. Either in one church meeting, an event or gathering.


My father, Dr. Kolade Andrews is a practicing medical doctor at the University of Portharcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH), a surgeon to be precise.  This is not surprising though, because my father was one of the brightest students in his University days. He gallantly came out as the best student in his department. He is a well known surgeon in the whole of Portharcourt city , as he never goes wrong with any surgery he takes on.


My mother, Mrs Bethany Andrews was also an health practitioner. She worked as a nurse for several years till she resigned to start up her pharmacy. Coincidentally, they both worked in the same hospital before she resigned, and that was where love found them some 32 years ago.


My mom can be very tough, but as tough as she  seems on the outside, she possesses a very tender, caring and genuine side, that makes me wonder if I really know the woman I call my mother. 


Although firm, but very nice. The way she switches personalities, keeps everyone in awe. You know the saying that " the mouth which the dog uses to play with her children is what it uses to bite them?". that's exactly how my mother is, a No- nonsense woman.


Thanks to her firmness and toughness, it has helped shape us and most times saved us from opportunistic situations.


It's not like my dad does not talk at all oo, but he doesn't like to talk except necessary, and when he eventually talks ehn, you'll be shocked, because his words pulls weight.


My parent's love story is such an interesting one. Being from different tribes was  a dramatic experience for them. 


My father, a yoruba man from Oyo state and my mum, an Igbo lady from Anambra. My father's parent ruled against the union, that their son cannot marry an Igbo lady. Somehow love prevailed, and I am a product of that love.


 31 years ago, my parents received the precious gift of a baby girl, their first fruit, which happens to be me: Omolola Gloria Chidinma Andrews.


Although my parents prefer to call me Gloria, since it's a neutral name. 


The relationship I have with my parents is such a  close knitted one. Although because of my mother's overbearing attitude, we usually get into so many arguments and one of such is today's. I think one of the reasons for our many arguments is because I took after her with being vocal and opinionated. Most times it Is my father that comes to my rescue, when my mother starts.


"I don't know why my mother thinks she can always have her way at all times.  I have always yielded to her wishes, but on this issue, it's a NO. How on earth does she expect me to marry Emma?


"Emma!!! If he were the last man on earth then I'd rather remain single." I said within myself.


"Will you keep quiet?... What do you know? and what stupid right time are you talking about at 31. 31!!! Gloria. oh! I see. It seems you have become too comfortable in this house. You think this is your house abi?. This is my own husband's house, go to your own husband's house and let me enjoy my home" my mother blurted.


I was about responding, but my dad cut in. 


"My dear, let this girl be. Allow her take her time and find the right person." 


"I know you will support her. instead of you to support me and let's speak sense into this girl. No problem. I leave you two. As for you, continue to stay in your father's house oo. shameless girl." My mother said angrily and walked out of the living room.


I sank into a chair and bowed my head, exhausted from the whole drama. The ringing of my phone was what brought me back to reality. I reached out to answer the call, but alas it's a private number. 


"But who on earth still calls with private number? who can this be?" I shrugged.


30 DAYS TO GO FOR SISTER DABIRA PART 2


3 comments:

  1. wow! I'm so much loving it...pls when are we getting the next episodes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read the next episode

    ReplyDelete

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...