Saturday 21 January 2023

The Beautiful Scar Ep 6




 "Oh my God" I screamed turning back and seeing who tapped me.

"I know right" Busayo said.

Busayo is one of my childhood friends. We attended the same secondary before her parent relocated from Ilorin to Ibadan and we lost connection after then.

"It's been like 7 years that we last saw" she said as I opened my arm for a tight hug without minding that the service had started.

"We have a lot to catch up with" I added as we held each others hand walking into the church auditorium.

Seeing Busayo made my Sunday and all the memories together kept running on mind all through the service.

Should we talk about how the boys always compete with us in English debates or how we joined the press club in secondary school  to  pick on every gist in  the school.

The service ended and we all moved to the parking lot. My dad had to see one of the Deacons, Deacon Komolafe who he had an unfinished none-church-related business together.

I reintroduced Busayo  to the family as they couldn't remember who she is again

"That your friend back in school days?" My mother asked to be sure.

"Pele my dear, you are welcome" my mother added as she walked towards the car.

Days like these, I wish dad came with his own car and driver while we come with ours but we have no option than to wait. That makes it easier for me to catch up on some of the old gist with Busayo.

My brother was already seated in the car, plugging his headset to the phone and playing his usual football video games while my mother was  greeting every passerby  coming along the car park.

"Has your family relocated back to Ilorin" I asked out of curiosity.

"No, I just got admission back to University Ilorin for my masters degree. I need that change of environment"

"Wow, that's amazing. We've not been in touch for a long time. Hold on, thought you had your first degree from the University of Ibadan?" I asked to be sure because when we were leaving secondary, I remember she always talked about her love for  the University of Ibadan and how she would always choose the school as her first choice.

"You still remember? yes you are right. I had my first degree there" she added and before we could talk a bit further, dad joined us,  I introduced her to my dad as he couldn't place the face again.

We exchanged numbers and we promised  to stay in touch more.

Fortunately, Busayo is going towards the same direction as we are. She joined us and she pointed hand to the route that leads to her area.

We finally said our goodbyes and we zoomed off. Getting home that afternoon, everyone was tired and all I needed to do was take a nap before any other thing.

My brother was going back to school that same afternoon. I wouldn't want him to wake me up so I either need to find something to keep me up or I shut my door and bid my brother goodbye in advance.

I remembered that I wanted to check out for the prices of some photography gadget to help me weigh my options of what I want to start on.

On the other hand, the thought of seeing my friend starting masters already made me happy at first but now, lot of questions started running down  my mind.

The thought of feeling lost and unfulfilled yet. I closed the laptop immediately and crawled into my bed from the reading table.

My phone started ringing  but I wasn't really in the mood. I tried dropping the call the first time and the second.

"Hello, who's it?" I picked the call without checking the phone this time and there was silence.

I checked the phone to see who the caller was and it was Lakunle.

"I hope I didn't call at the wrong time" he said.

"I'm sorry, I'm just feeling sleepy"

"I could call you back later, let me allow you rest" he added.

"No, it's fine. You can talk, I'm with you"

"What's your schedule tonight? Can we see?" He asked but I wasn't sure whether I wanted to even go out or not.

"Alright, let's make it 6pm at our usual spot then"

The call ended and checked my phone and realised the first 2 calls earlier on was Busayo, she later left me a message to tell how happy she was today seeing me again.

I replied her and flung the phone to the other side of the bed.

"Hey big sis, I'm leaving for school already" my brother said from the entrance of my room. I stood up to bid him goodbye as the driver turned on the ignition and drove out of the compound.

Moments later, I started dressing up so as to catch up with the meeting with Lakunle, I didn’t want to keep him waiting as well.

I picked the  key to the Toyoto camry, one of mom's favorite car and drove to the usual spot where Lakunle and I always met.

"What's up with you? You are not sounding bright?" He asked but I smiled it off.

"I'm just a bit stressed but I'm fine"

We ordered  hamburger and yoghurt. He teased me about my fitted gown and sneakers. I was forced to laugh and shake off all the negative thoughts in my head.

"So can we talk about your family now?" I asked.

He sighed as he sipped the yoghurt in the cup he was holding.

"Yes, that's true. I remember I promised you" he said.

"Well, this is it" he said as cleaned his mouth with the serviette.

"What's it about his family that he has been hiding from me" I muttered silently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...