Monday 16 January 2023

The Beautiful Scar Ep 1



"When are you going to talk about your family? 


This is the umpteenth time I will be asking Lakunle about his family and his countenance would always grow cold every single time I raise  the topic.


No matter what we were doing at that moment, he would grow cold. 


There was a time we were at the eatery and I raised the question, he walked away from the table to  take a fake call. 


At another time, he requested to use the restroom so that he could just avoid answering the questions.


Many times, I just wanted him to say something at least. Something to calm me down but rather, he would just find a way to change the topic.


"Is the chicken pie tasty enough?" Lakunle replied to my question regarding his family as of the last time I asked during one of our of regular hangouts.


"What if this guy is a ghost? Or could it be that he was disowned ?"


"Did he run away from home?"  


"No, it can't be what I'm thinking about" 


I had to quickly shun off the bad and negative thoughts coming through my head.


A lot of "what ifs" were having a relay race on my mind but I couldn't help it everytime  but to ask. 


I remember meeting Lakunle after I returned from my compulsory one year service -NYSC. 


I served in Abuja with the influence and affluence of my parents. They always will go  any length to put their children's  needs first and since they have connections to many top officials, it only takes a phone call from the corner of our living room.  


"I have spoken to my friend at NYSC office, you will be joining your mates in Abuja Orientation camp" my dad said that afternoon.


"Won't  you say “thank you” to your daddy, my mother interrupted.


Left to me, I would have loved to serve probably in Lagos or anywhere around South West, Nigeria but my beggar has no choice. 


My dad works with the ministry of finance in Ilorin, Kwara state and as a chartered accountant, he is always engaged with meetings from one place to another.


My mother had to quit her banking job so as to focus on her catering business.  Through my dad's connections, you could predict how massive the business is and how my mother does intercontinental and local dishes for different parastatals.


My mother assumed that quitting her banking job will always make her more available for me and my younger brother but the reverse is the case. 


We have domestic workers in the house that does almost everything. From cleaning to cooking and much more.


My parents’ name is the one the street bears not because we were like the first house on that street but due to how wealthy, I can say, my family is. 


Our parent put us in one of the biggest private schools in Ilorin. Money is the least of their worry, they just would always want to be in any public space and reference how their kids are doing so well in a "big school" 


I met Lakunle at the mall in Ilorin that afternoon and what started our friendship is a very funny moment.


How did we meet?



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...