Monday 18 May 2020

FOLA Episode 4


Episode 4

"Jesus, Jesus..." was been repeatedly said by one dark huge usher close to the door as the undertakers were marching out of the compound. 

A group of alawo (herbalist) was seen dressed in a white spotless gown. There were 6 men and 4 women and everyone had a bead necklace and hand band with calabash in their hands.

The fear written all over the security men but they tried to summon the courage to stop them from coming into the compound. The moment 2 out of the security men fell down flat like a cockroach that perceived the aroma of an insecticide. The other security couldn't move close to them.

The sound of the trumpet and drums had been stopped and everywhere was silent. Everyone was looking at what's going to happen. 

Remember what brother Biyi told us about a week ago? It is now playing into reality now that truly wasn't a rumour that the Pastor actually did something in order to have more members in the church.


My mom held my hand and started looking for a way to move out of the scene but attention was beginning to be drawn to the gate so she had no option than to wait a little while.

Personally, I was thinking the elder will show up to speak the language they all understood but the elder was nowhere to be found. We later found out that he was aware that the group of alawo were coming shortly and he had made his way out of the church compound. 

"Shebi I told you that day?" someone whispered that to my mom's ear and immediately we turned back, it was brother Biyi.

What's going to happen now? and many other questions were running through my small mind as I had never witnessed such before and it was not looking like a scene I can ever get out of my head. 

The leader of the alawo started saying some unknown words while those that followed him started singing some local dialect songs.

The burial service that started 9am and ended around 12 with the aim that the burial ground program will last from 12:30 to 1:30pm latest so we can meet up with the reception and go home thereafter has now been extended as the group of alawo has taken almost 30 minutes of the time.

"Where is Elder Peteru?" was the first question the leader of the alawo asked everyone but you could see the surprise on everyone's face but my oversabi dad was the bold person to reply them.

"He came to church this morning but I'm not sure he is here at the moment" my dad replied from the corner where he was standing with the burial pamphlet in his hands.

I was angry that why would my dad be the one to reply to them when other ministers and deacons were there to talk even if some other elders were there to reply but no, dad couldn't just act along.

"Well, so far he is not here, we will know how and where to meet but as for this corpse here, its ours and it's our right to carry out the burial and not you" said the leader of the alawo.

People started mumbling, grumbling and murmuring. People that were crying already wiped away the tears and everyone is ready to watch the full length drama that want to happen.

I wasn't even expecting anyone to reply them or better still, if anyone has relied, it could either be some other people and not my dad this time around. 

"But why? Why sir? I wasnt surprised any more when I realised that it was still my father. Well, he could have been like that because he was his assistant till his death, he feels he could step in and answer all question.

Maybe the day to know the truth is finally here as we are all keenly paying attention to what the reason could be.

"This man is our man and we have been waiting for his return for a while now but he has proven to us that we are nothing or is that not so?" He asked as he face his other group member and they chorus their affirmation to what their leader was saying.

I would have joined to ask myself why or what are they saying but I played along like I dont know. As much as my mother know about this, she still looked so surprise as everyone else in the crowd.

The Pastor's wife started crying again and the children couldn't help but cry too as they have no clue of what might be going on

"But my husband is a man of God, I don't think he has any unfinished business with any group of alawo. If at all he has, who ever he has set free, he is free indeed" was all that the pastor was saying amidst tears.

"Woman, its better you shut that your stinking mouth up before we send you to where we send your husband" 

The alawo are beginning to be angry with the way they are dragging the issues and wasting their time. 

It will not be good for you all not to know you call "Pastor". 

"This man here came to us some years ago about how he want the church to grow both by people and by building and that's the enjoyment you all are benefiting from today but he forgot to pay his dues"

"Jesu gbami (Jesus save me)" a fat woman shouted from the crowd as the alawo opened up everything that the pastor has done.

"Every year he renewed this sacrifice with a young lady but for almost 7 years now, he has stopped and we have been patient enough after several warnings, this is what happens to someone who breaks the rule"

The moment the leader of the alawo group finished talking, he instructed 4 of his men to carry the coffin so they can take their leave.

They've stayed too long than they bargain for as the time is now 1:30pm. Obviously, the drama has been on for over an hour now but as they carry the coffin to take their leave. A fat not too old man with tribal mark that complemented his face shouted from the crowd.

"Hold on, hold on, I want to ask something?"

They all paused and now all attention has been shifted to this man as everyone is curious to know what he has to say?

"Sorry, I don't mean to stop you or delay you, I want to clear my doubt on something"

"What is that? Dont waste our time, we have to carry out the final rite before the sun will set"

What does he have to say? You wanna guess?

Wait for the next episode.

Next episode drops here tomorrow night 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my God. What a shock/ disgrace to the wife,children and the church at large.

    ReplyDelete

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...