Saturday 23 May 2020

FOLA Episode 9


Episode 9

"Doctor, what exactly is going on? Talk to me, I'm the pastor of the church that he attends". Pastor's couldn't help his curiosity as he followed the doctor to his office. 

Doctor offer both the pastor and my mother a seat and this moment, mom wasn't sure of whether to cry or laugh. Her eyes were swollen from tears and sweat as well.

"He will live, he is responding to treatment but there is something here that you need to know". 

"But again? What's the but edakun (please)? Mom interrupted the doctor. Doctor explained and emphasized how the damage has been caused due to multiple hitting on his head.

He will survive but will suffer a few memory loss. The doctor told mom that dad will be under the hospital watch for about 3 months and then he will be coming once in a while for check up. 

He added that we will need to pay for the therapist that will be coming around to help him regain his memory and all other things around it. This moment really affected my mom as she has to shuffle between the house, her shop and the hospital.

At dad's work place, he was retired due to his health. He couldnt go to church and he cant go to work as well. What a painful moment in our lives. 

Gradually, there is no much sales in mom's shop. She has spent all on my dad's health and no one really helped. Church also neglected us and we couldn't afford to keep up with the payment of the flat we rented. 

Three months came faster than we can imagine. Dad is getting better but cant recall what happened and how it all happened. Mom had gone pale an slimmer cause the stress was already telling on her.

"Sister, you have to relocate and leave this environment" Uncle Julius suggested this in one of his visit to our house. Mom saw sense in that advise and we started working on relocating. 

Eight month later, we moved to a town not too far from the city but it's not as exposed compared to where we are coming from. They dont have so many attractive places like malls, supermarkets and all of that.

School started again for me and I was enrolled in one of the government school in that town. I was beginning to get used to the environment.   Accommodation there is also affordable. We are paying below half of what we were paying in our former house.

One of the good thing about this town also is the constant supply of light. Every night, children will be playing and chasing each other before parent start calling them in for dinner.

Before we know it, we are already staying our 3rd year in that town. My parent already started attending a new bible believing church and the love between my dad and mom now is like that of a new branded couples in town.

In my mind I was like maybe dad needed that hit in his head to reset him to be better. My moms prayer every night was for my dad to stop beating her but the prayer point changed to "God heal this man, dont let them say I killed my husband"

I am beginning to love my daddy more, we are so close now that he is always telling me different stories of tortoise and animal kingdom. I dont always want to miss the moment of his gist. 

The new church we attend now, they are beginning to ask my parent to at least join a department since they are learned and not inexperience. 

On many occasions, the pastor had visited us to talk my parent into joining a work force 

"Brother Olarewaju, we believe that God has a reason why he sent you down here and it will be our joy seeing you involved in the church activities"

My mother remembered the drama that happened in our former church and that's why they are threading softly here and not just jump into anything. 

You also feel that it's been 3 years we got here and my parents should be able to join any department but my dad kept on telling them No

"I am sorry pastor, I havent been led join any department yet, when I am led to do so, I will be involved but for now, let me be praying and worshipping alone"

It got to a stage dad put it up to their face that if they dont want him to come to the church again, he will excuse them but pastor told him it's not up to that.

I was preparing for my Junior exams and my parent had enrolled me for extra class and lessons because they want me to have a good grade.

One Saturday afternoon, dad suggested that we take a walk around. Dad enjoyed that strolling so much cause he will sight see and enjoy the breeze that always accompany it.

There is this small river that had made a path for it self down the street that leads to our house. Some of the local women in the town always go there to wash and spread their cloth on the grass there.

I've seen days when the children too will go there and play, chase themselves around till they get tired and go home.

As we were walking that afternoon, mom was walking beside dad and they were so deep into the discussion. There is this fine flower along the path that I always play with anytime they send me on errands. 


We are 5 minutes away from the small river when someone called my fathers name. We weren't sure we heard right since we are not the only with that surname. 

We were going but the name was consistently coming closer. We choose to ignore since it could have been anyone but my mom was trying to tell my dad to let's wait and see who the person is.

Dad was still insisting and since I didn't see a need to look back. It could have been anyone too, we kept on going.

"Brother Olarewaju" the voice was closer now than before. My parents looked back at the same time as if they both planned. 

Turning back to find out who it could be left us to the biggest shock of our life. My parents didn't know if to run or stay.

"Brother Olarewaju, I am the one"

I am as surprised as you are right now, guess who we saw?
Catch you in the next episode

3 comments:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...