Wednesday 20 May 2020

FOLA Episode 6

Episode 6

The words coming from my dad's mouth that afternoon disgusted me as little as I was. Who beats their wife and still add confidence to it with pride?

"Well, I don't know if you will find this as a good news or bad one" mom said while reaching for her small handbag.

Mom handed over a letter to dad. Mom has been feeling somehow for a while now and I was thinking maybe she's beginning to react to the beating and all of that.

"What? Are you... for real? Oh my God" were the words my dad was saying repeatedly but immediately I could see my dad's countenance changed.

He immediately close the book review he was doing. He walks towards my mother and hugged her. What's the hug for? I was thinking within me.

"So you are 6 weeks pregnant? I am going to be a father again after 10 years?" My dad was extremely happy that day and he told mom not to be stressing herself henceforth.

I saw a drastic change in dad's behaviour and till the year runs out, dad was always getting mom gift, helping her with work both at home and at her store. 

I wish this is how things will keep going until one Sunday morning. Third Sunday in January to be precise, as at that time,  mom's pregnancy was already 3 months down. It wasnt obvious yet but people that could be detailed and observant will know mom is putting weight. 

We got to church that Sunday morning and the committee has finally concluded on announcing the new pastor of the church with the new set of minsters that will be working with the new pastor.

Everyone know how zealous and hardworking my dad has been ever since the deaths of the pastor with the withdrawal of more than half of the congregation.

The service has started as usual until it was time for the announcement and Elder  Babatope mounted the pulpit and started calling out the list of the new ministers and other departmental head.

"The Lord works in mysterious way, amen" the congregation echo back "amen"

He talked a bit on what some of the new appointed ministers will be doing. Some selected elders laid their hands on the new ministers including my dad.

"This service wont be completed without letting us all know that God has spoken and he has officially appointed a man after his own heart to step into the shoes of the pastor of this church" everywhere became silent as curiosity was written over so many people's face.

"He is no other person but Brother James Igbalode" I could hear murmuring from the church and level of surprise and disbelief on people's face.

My father tried to put up smile to act like he is excited about it. They rally round brother James and prayed for him. There after, the congregation was asked to point their hands to the new pastor and pray for him.

Actually,  as little as I know about brother James,  he is one of the new convert to our church like 5 years ago. The former pastor died when he was just a year old in our church. Brother James of all people? Is it cause he is a master holder that studied abroad or because he always dresses so fine to church wearing same matching cloth with his wife? But for whatever reason why it was him, it could have been my father, you too know it right?

Service was over that day and dad had to drive us home after service. He didn't say a word till we got home. He became gentle but deep down, I can see rage through his eyeballs.

My dad started transferring aggression. Every little thing in the house started pissing him off. My mom tried calming him down but instead it resulted to a big fight

"Dont let devil make you add more fuel to the fire that is burning inside me so stay away" dad warned mom but mom wouldn't listen. 

Dad pounce on mom and he beats her so much that he forgot that mom was pregnant. I can't recall if I've seen my dad that angry before. All their small small fight before wasnt this bad. 

I tried coming in between but what can the little me in such a fight. I started crying but in pain, mom tried to react me and hold my hand, she asked me to stop crying so that it doesnt make my head ache.

"Blood...blood" I started shouting and pointing my mom's attention flowing down her legs. My dad had already slammed the door angrily to our face as at then.

Mother struggled to clean up and use all the strength left in her to hang on the 3 seater. She is feeling so weak and I don't know what to offer. I rushed to the dinning and brought water for her to at least drink. She collected it and sip a little out of it.

The day was over and everyone went to bed without the normal family worship we do have in the night before we sleep. I share same room with mom as my dad has a room to himself. 

The following morning, mom left the house same time as the time I was going to school. She ddint tell my daddy where she was going. She picked her bag and my lunch bag in her other hands.

She dropped me in my school as my new school is not far from home. Mom followed the same bike that brought us to school back and she left for hospital immediately. 

"Madam, how did it happen? Did you do any strenuous thing or what?

My mother couldn't say much before tears started rolling through her eyes. She has been bottling all this in mind and she hates to expose her family or bring in a third party.

"Its nothing serious doctor, it's nothing actually" she quickly wiped her tears away and put herself together.

"Madam, after the test we conducted and everything, its clearly and obvious that the bleeding is enough sign to let you know that you've lost the baby" all this words were piercing my mothers heart.

The only thing that my mother was thinking of is either she revenge or move out of that house. She wouldn't be able to continue living a miserable life like that.

"You are happy now, I hope your happiness battery is full now? I lost the baby. Happy? My mother asked my father when she got back home.

My father was calm and apologised to my mother but it's like my mothers mind has been made up. She walked out of my dad to her room, my dad followed her.

"Hey, what are you trying to do? Calm down, I already apologise or what else do you want me to do" dad had said in a sarcastic tone 

"You know what? Forget it" mom said as she gradually started packing her bag. I was there looking at my mother as she packed her bags and tear started rolling down her cheeks.

You know what happened?  No, you dont. Watch out for the next episode.

Next episode drops here tomorrow night

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...