Thursday 1 October 2020

TANGLED S2 EP5

Season 2, Episode 

It was New Year's eve, one of the exciting moments of our lives as it's more of thanksgiving night to praise and worship God for seeing us through the year.

Other activities are always been carried out in the eve that makes it very interesting and worthwhile. From the praise and thanksgiving session, the choir singing as well as the congregation. The testimonies; that was one of my most enjoyable session. Hearing what God has done for people. The challenges he led them through and the victories won. 


The sermon for that night, is not always as long as our normal Sunday sermons but very powerful, inspiring and thanks-filled. What a beautiful way to end and begin a year. 

There is also a get together session were foods brought by different people are eaten by everyone. It was always a moment of love, thanksgiving, sweet fellowship and unity of brethren just like the times of the Apostles. 


I remember our family call for the last day of the year. That year wasn't different. Before we left home for church, we have spoken with almost all our family members those reachable on calls.

Thank God dad was able to get another phone after that accident. I couldn't have imagined missing the last family call of the year. I got the opportunity to speak with my cousins, aunts and uncles after a long time. I had told one of my big cousins what he will get for me when coming over after the new year celebration and I was already anticipating my new year present.


People come from far and near parishes to ours because it was the headquarters; my parents attends the headquarters. Our house to the headquarters church was just about 20 minutes drive and using bike would take us lesser minutes, because cars will try to be careful with the potholes as well as stopping passengers at different spots, while bikes wouldn't mind jumping on all holes and making your head ache after coming down from the bike and also bike carries only you so it may likely not do that stopping at various points this makes the bike a quite faster means.


The church activity always starts from 10pm which is the first service while the second service starts from 12am. 


The report from the previous year will be read out from losses to gain, from victory to success stories and many more. Also, the church's leadership restructuring was always annually and that night was always when the announcement is made. So, it gets to decide the fate of some members for the next year.


"Brother Femi Kindra is now our new head of follow up unit" Pastor Alfred started calling out names of the new officers that will serve the church for the new year. 

"Brother Jesse Peteru, head of welfare department. Sister Sarah Sanusi, head of youths and teens department" Pastor kept on calling the names along side their positions. 


As some were crying when they heard their names, others were smiling with the optimism that God will go with them.

As the pastor calls each person, we clap for them and they move towards the pavement close to the main podium where the pastor normally stands for services like this.


No one expected any of this leadership seats to come to my family at all. No one saw it coming, I wish my father was hinted on time, it would have been less of a shock.


"Brother Felix Badmus" everyone started clapping and shouting the moment pastor mentioned my father's name. Some where standing. It was more like they expected it or should I say they wanted it.


My father has been the Assisting Head of Treasury and finance department. With all expectations and assumptions, he was supposed to take over from the former head that has now been promoted to be a senior minister and Assistant Regional Pastor.


Everyone loves my family because of my father's generosity. My mother always take extra food to church every Sunday to give to people. 

A few number of people had been assisted by my dad. He uses his influence to secure people job opportunities, admission in schools and many more.


The reason for the loud clap became clearer to me as it might have been from the fact that my family was the type that was accommodating and hospitable.

I may not be able to talk about my father's expectations of what position they may call him for but I guess he was looking forward to the promotions or maybe not.


"Amen somebody" pastor said as to reduce the clap and screaming from the congregation.

"If you don't allow us finish this phase of appointing the new leaders and head of different units, you will only extend the overnight program from 3am to 5am ooo" pastor Alfred concluded and the church became quiet again..


"Brother Felix Badmus has been very useful to this church and beyond. Infact he is a wonderful man of God" the pastor added and the church clapped with all excitement.

"When a man is doing so well at little things, they are lifted up and taken to a place that is even higher" the pastor said while smiling.


"Brother Felix is now the new pastor of our Akerewaja branch" the pastor concluded.


I could hear murmurs from the congregation. I couldn't place if it's the murmur of joy or something else. 

The clap wasn't as loud as it was before. The mention of Akerewaja branch has quite punctured the excitement. Why? I thought.


"Shall we stretch our hands towards these new leaders and pray that the Lord should back up their ministry and expand the coast" the pastor said and we all prayed for them stretching our hands towards them and the pastor concluded the prayers.

The prayer session was over and the pastor congratulated them all one after the other.


My father kept a straight face all through, I wasn't so sure whether he was happy about his promotion or not but the cross over service moved faster than I thought because I didn't know when I slept off after the service.


My mother found a place to lay me down so I could sleep well without developing neck and back pains and where she could see me.


"Wake up, it's time to go home" my mom's voice was what woke me up around 4am. 


There was a brother that lived not too far from our house and he chose to drive us home. 

As we were about leaving the church premises, someone shouted my parent's names.


"Brother Felix! Sister Kate!" the person shouted.


Who could this be?

Find out in the next episode.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...