Saturday 3 October 2020

TANGLED S2 EP7

Season 2, Episode 7.


"What happened my dear? You can always talk to me" my mother said as she walked to join dad  on the couch.


I didn't know how sensitive the conversation was going to be but there was something about my parents. They had a way of talking to each other without mentioning names as they already had an attached code to everyone and everything. This always gives them less of worry to talk while I'm around.


I still decided to excuse them so they can have the space to themselves to talk but my dad wouldn't let me. Immediately I faced my room, he called me back and asked me to sit.


"You may be small by age to understand what is on ground but you are not too small to pray" my dad started with me before facing my mother.

"You asked me in the car the other time if I was fine and I said I was fine right" my dad asked me and I affirmed his question. Now he faced mommy.


"I was at the board meeting when I heard that there was mismanagement of church funds. Some of the estimated amount from church tithe and offerings didn't correlate with what was taken to bank. Also, some church project budget money was more to what was reported" my dad expressed his worries.


"But you know nothing about it right?" My mom asked.


"Don't you trust me? I have my own records which I was able to tender as evidence of what I know about it but brother Kamal the head of Unit couldn't really defend the allegations" my dad explained further but curiosity wouldn't let my mother stop interrupting at every interval. 


"What's now the way out ehn? My mom interrupted again.

My dad was looking more worried and my mom wasn't helping issues with her questions and interruption. It was obvious there was more to what he was saying.

"Talk to me dear" mom persisted.


"They have put him under investigations and they asked him to step aside from all his duties in church" dad said and sighed heavily. Can you guess what worsened the case dear?

"Ah! Too bad" mom shook her head pitifully.

"Dear, you know I'm bad at guessing, tell me please"


"An evidence was wrapped against him for sexual scandal alongside embezzling the church funds!" my dad said. 

"Ah! Jesus! This is unbelievable!"  Mom shouted. I guess the case was getting greater.


"Don't you have any assignment from school that you ought to do?" My mother asked facing me. Not because she doesn't know that we haven't started the new term but she just needed something to take me away from their conversation. I too understood the case was getting more sensitive and I knew what she meant already so immediately, I stepped out.


I didn't want history to repeat itself because there was a time they both were talking and they didn't want me to know what they were discussing about. After I've done all the necessary assignments and the portion of my own house chores, my mother asked me if I have picked the weevils in the rice she bought weeks back. "Weevils in rice ke? Where did it enter from?" I just knew she wanted me out; I understood her and I let them be but that wasn't after laughing at her and dad joined in my laughter too.


Actually, the real name of the Head of Treasury department was brother Michael Jiboso which I found out years later. I didn't know where and how my parents came up with the Kamal they called him. My parents and their code names ehn.


So I excused them that day and I didn't know how the whole conversation ended but I knew that our church has so many rules guiding top most officials for any misconduct and the consequences of it was always grevious. 


The day soon passed and night finally came. We had our night prayers after taking dinner.


The weekend after dad had handed over every necessary thing, we were set for the first service at the new branch. 


Our former branch which is the headquarters was like 20 minutes drive from home but the new branch was like an hour drive from our house. We had to leave home earlier than usual that Sunday morning.

It looked even farther because it was the first time. 


The children had a short program to welcome us to the church. They held bouquet while singing and it was presented to us. They made me remember our headquarters children church again and I cried. I always enjoy being in programs like this. I remembered when we had a program to welcome our overseer few years ago.  It was always an interesting one and now to think that other children were singing to welcome me. I just let the tears flow freely.


Akerewaja branch church has a part of the roof opened because the church was still under construction then. I learnt the branch started gradually from the house of the former pastor and the more people joined, the more they kept looking for a better place that can accommodate them until they got to this present location.


As always, some persons weren't sure my dad will be like the former pastor while some others where highly expectant of what we could offer. The former pastor died few weeks back and the assistant pastor has been the one acting as the pastor till my family was transferred there.

Like my dad will always say, no two persons can be same. But thank God we have Him as our Father and Leader.


The first service ended and everyone went home. I didn't know how I will cope with the new system or let me say with the change of branch but I knew it was all going to be about time.


They told us about the whole environment and the issues they've once had with the church land. How some land owners came to harass the church that the land they built the church on was for their grandfather. God helped them to win the case and they quickly began building and that was how they had the church now.


Days turning to weeks, weeks to months and months to years that my father has been pastoring the church. 

Until a time along the line, something happened. 


Mind you, when the battle is close to finishing, it gets tougher.


What happened?

Find out in the next episode.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...