Sunday 4 October 2020

TANGLED S2 EP8

Season 2, Episode 8.


My dad served as the pastor of Akerewaja branch church for 5 years and so much growth happened.


The first thing my father did was to focus on the church building so that worshippers can have a completed and a befitting temple to worship, praise, pray and serve God.


My dad, not minding how much it will cost first completed the roofing of the church and also plastered the wall. He felt the terrazzo floor befits the church better with a Louvre frame on the windows and that exactly was done. There were ceiling fans across the church. My dad was concerned about the comfort of the members of the church.


Anyone that has been in the church before when it was yet to be completed would never had imagined that a beautiful edifice like it can spring up in an environment like that.

Flowers were planted round the church and the fence was raised a bit above the knee level. You will always want to come to church.


One of my father's favourite topic was on unity. He always remind everyone of us that when we work and walk in unity, the holy spirit will work freely amidst us and miracles with wonders will keep happening amidst us. We were truly blessed and we could see the evidences everywhere. To God be the Glory, great things he has done.


Testimonies started flying from our branch to the headquarters and other small branches in the town. As some were proud of what God was doing through my family, some others were envious about it.

A woman who has been praying to God for a child for 15 years ended up giving birth to quadruplet. The news was everywhere that a woman gave birth to 4 children at a time and it was at Akerewaja branch church.


Another man that has mental issues for 7 years regained his sanity and now he is living healthy and strong.

Those praying for good jobs got new and better ones. The self employed were praising God because there was an enlargement of their coast. This made people want to serve God more and more. Testimonies abound for what God was doing with and through us in the church.


My mom continued with her generosity. She'll always cook food and take to church to be served after service to the needy and less privileged. But on special Sundays, she makes as much as will reach everybody. Sometimes, when she can't cook she'd buy snacks and drinks. She gathers the little ones after service and teach them something new and different from what they've learnt in children's church that day. 


This drew her very close to the children and as time went on, their parents as well. She was always easy on them, help resolve matters amicably, she brought the Gospel of Christ to Akerewaju people through love and kindness in its simplest form. Soon her name went round the whole village and more people were added to the church. Not just to see her or eat her food(tho mom's food was always very delicious; you wouldn't taste it once and not want to taste it again) but to come learn from her wealth of knowledge. 


Soon she formed a prayer team for the women every midweek. And as far as our house was from the church, she will always be in attendance. Indeed a leader by example. God was helping her. She was a very useful tool in the development of Akerewaja branch church.


It wasn't for long before the people of Akerewaja got accustomed to us and we too to them. I would say it was a work of collaboration. As dad was doing the surface work, the building and all mom was doing the inner work, winning their hearts and then turning them to Christ. It was indeed wonderful. 


I also wasn't left out. I soon began to mingle with the children especially my age-mate in children church. I made friends and soon forgot our headquarters church were we came from though not completely. We didn't move from our house so, I still got to see some of my friends. I felt at home at Akerewaja. There was this feeling I had I couldn't explain but it was much peaceful.


My parents found me to be a very brilliant child and at the time i was in senior school 2. I was already 15 and my parents asked me to try out the external examination to boost my entrance into tertiary institution.


On the other hand, my parents believed in making sure every child joined a work force in church to keep them active. And as the pastor's child, I wouldn't want to be left out so I joined the teenage choir in the church.


Soon, they started to call my father to radio and TV stations to share the word and to tell of his ministry so far. As well as publication on magazines trending the name of the church. Everywhere or every page you turn to and every station you tune to, it's "Gospel Light Church".


As I earlier stated that something happened along the line and that was when my dad started praising himself rather than praising God for all that has happened through him.


In one of the radio interviews he had last, he was asked about all that was happening in the church. I was home with my mother and we tuned to the radio to follow the interview as usual.


"Well, I am happy I was brought to the local church. Initially, I thought it was a punishment but we started from the bottom and now we are here. I'm happy we did it and we made it" my father said.


You know how tricky some of this journalists can be but my father wasn't careful enough as he took all glory to himself. He has stopped going to the pastor's monthly meeting at the headquarters, he hasn't been participating in the headquarters combined program because he felt his level has passed their own there.


One evening, we had just gotten back from church. As tired as my mom was, she still went to the kitchen to make us wheat and okro soup. That was how much my mom doesn't joke with caring for her family.

But it made me wonder though. Aside caring, she has this inability to send someone on errand. She loves to do everything herself; rather than resting, or sending someone else, she still went to the kitchen to cook.


We finished dinner that night and everyone went to their room. 


A shout woke us up. My dad checked the time and it was just about 3am in the midnight. 


What happened?

Watch out for the next episode.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...