Friday 2 October 2020

TANGLED S2 EP6


Season 2, Episode 6.


"Brother Felix! Sister Kate!" the person shouted the more and was running towards us. The brother that was taking us home in his car had to stop and wind down the car window so as to see the face of the person calling us.


"Brother Bassey, do you know this person running towards us?" My dad asked the brother that was taken us home. 


Brother Bassey was a very calm brother. He was single. He works in the ushering department of the church and he was very faithful. He lived not very far from our house. He was one of the persons we do pray for that God should settle him soon. He was a very good man and he deserves everything good including a good wife that will make a good home.


"I don't think I can see the face very well but when he gets here, we will know who the person is" brother Bassey replied.

"Good morning sir, I hope I haven't delayed you or interrupted your plans?" the brother that called my dad said.


At a closer view, my dad recognised the brother. "Oh! Mr Olatade, Good morning, no not at all. We are heading home" my dad answered.

"Please sir, can I join you? I'm going home too" Mr Olatade asked


"Yes please, you can join us. We are all going to the same direction" Mr Bassey said. 

Mr Olatade joined my mother and I at the back seat while my dad was already sitting in front. We drove out of the church compound and the journey started. It was not really a journey but no matter the distance, it is worth committing to God.


"Go with us and take the lead, grant us safe arrival home as we pray in Jesus name" my mother prayed and we all chorused "Amen".


We haven't moved very far when I started to hug sleep. I didn't even know when we reached our house, I was dragged into the house half awake and half asleep.

Everyone got in and retired to bed. We didn't wake up till it was around 11am when one of our neighbours came knocking on the door to bring us new year food.


The new year celebration always makes us eat all sort of food even what we aren't used to. I remember a particular new year when one of our neighbours brought Starch and one soup I've forgotten the name. It wasn't our familiar dish, we have never tasted it before but my parents had to eat it for the first time. It wasn't that bad for dad but mom didn't find it interesting. I didn't even bother to taste it because I had more than enough rice already and there was more to still eat.


This new year was a special one for me and my family. We were celebrating God's goodness and mercy in our lives, for keeping us alive, safe and sound, for all the victories of the past few weeks and for the promotion.


Mom made us fruit juice and chin chin that we can munch at different intervals. My mom has phobia for killing fowl so dad helped her that morning with killing the fowl and cutting it. I assisted mom with frying. Food was soon ready. Mom served the food and we all ate.


I moved from one place to another visiting friends and church members within the neighbourhood so I won't have to walk too far. I was tired already. Not just I but we. I wasn't going on that new year tour alone. We had a group. We used to be seven in number. 4 boys and 3 girls. We were all in the children's department but two years ago, we lost one of us, a girl. She was terribly sick, was in hospital for weeks but she couldn't make it alife. Now we are six. We never missed a new year tour. 


We've gone to almost all the houses in our list and we were tired but it wasn't obvious because any house we enter gives us new vibes to go further. As there will always be something to gain; if not food to eat, there will be drinks to drink and as well take home or money to buy snacks. This made us never want to stop.


Mr Olatade gave us each a pack of juice and three thousand naira to share. He also gave me two bottles of wine for my parents.

We finally finished our tour and went back home in the evening.


Mom also dished out food for our neighbours and all the children in the neighbourhood for the new year celebration and we received food from some of them too. There was a lot to eat, give out and remain.


For about two weeks, my father kept going back and forth to the headquarters to drop the church documents pertaining to his former department and to attend the mini pastor's training held at the headquarters for one week.


He made sure everything was in place and all necessary documents signed and submitted to his former department before he assumes the new office.


One of the days in the second week, I had the opportunity to follow daddy to church while mom was home resting. 

I saw some of my friends in church and they told me how much they will miss me and my family. I knew I will miss them too. I love the children church and I was going to miss it very much especially daddy pastor; no more sweets, biscuits and many other goodies for me on Sunday. I cried and my friends joined me too.


Dad soon finished and we went home. On our way home, I realised my father wasn't lively but I assumed maybe it was because he might have been over stressed for coming over and over for about two weeks for the handover process and training exercises.


Oh I forgot to mention that God laid it in the heart of one of the church leaders who has an extra car that he rarely use. He gave it to my family the first week after dad was declared as the new pastor. That was another bonus new year gift. What a faithful God. They was nothing more to remind us of the accident we had. God has restored all.


I wasn't comfortable with his mood any longer. He was driving slowly, moody and looking worried. I had to voice out.

"Daddy are you fine? You don't look happy" my question was what brought my dad to the consciousness that I was in the car with him. All along he was saying nothing, but his mind was saying a lot and his face actually sold him out. I knew something was wrong but I don't know what it was.


"Akerewaja branch" my father said and sighed. I didn't see any correlation with what I asked him and what he replied with. 


His response actually made it more easier to guess that he was thinking about the new branch.


"Daddy, but that's not what I asked, are you fine?" I asked again and my father gave a faint smile.

"All will be well. I am fine, we will soon get home" my dad said as he started driving a bit faster than before.


We got home and mom had prepared yam and garden egg sauce for us for lunch. Could I even call it lunch? It's already few minutes to 6pm. We ate anyways.

My dad was eating and saying fewer words compared to how much we know he talks. 


"My dear, what's going on? You've been moody since you got back. This is not your usual self. Talk to me" My mom said but dad smiled it off.


We finished eating and I helped mom clear the table and we both did the dish washing while dad went straight to the sitting room.

We finished in the kitchen and joined him shortly.


"Something happened in the board of directors meeting in church this afternoon" my dad started. 


What happened?

Watch out for it in the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...