Monday 23 November 2020

BUT Episode 2

Story by O'nezer

Episode 2



The convocation hall became silent that no one could believe it was the same room that was as rowdy as a marketplace a few minutes ago.


Beatrice opened her left palm and unfolded a small piece of paper which some words had been inscribed on it. She started reading immediately she acknowledged God for seeing her through her school life. 


She started narrating the struggles it took her to get into school after writing the entrance examination about 6 times. 


"There is a way in which the family paints the failure on one's face so much that you will feel like the most hated person on earth.


At every single mistake, the song from my mother's mouth was the song of "that's why you are still home." Days when I feel so sad and angry at the whole situation, I would reject the food but dad will always come around to make me feel a bit better"


"Whenever I start to eat, mother will start with one of her songs that if you had worked harder the way you are eating now, maybe your grade would have been better and I will angrily leave the dining room to my room" 


"On many nights, I wet my bed with tears and my pillow with sweat that accompanied the tears. Many a times, I kept on asking if God has forsaken me but trust me, God never forgets"


"I was at the dining one of the nights with the family when a family friend called with her mother's number and my parents hurriedly picked the call. My friend Bolade requested to talk to me and that was when she told me to go and check the school portal the following day"


"Lo and behold, my name came with the last list and I'm finally getting to study one of the most competitive courses in one of the best school in town"



"I want to appreciate God for the family that God used for me. On the other hand, brilliancy isn't enough but hard work with burning of midnight candles also added to this" she said as she tried to look at the clock right above the podium. 


"I wish my parents were here today to witness all that God has done for me but I will always be grateful to God for all He has done for me" 


"I know I don't have all day. I want to make a shout out to my roommates, Selina and Deborah, to brother Phillip, the fellowship coordinator, every member of Light of Hope Church- student wing and everyone who contributed to this journey. I pray the good Lord of heaven bless and keep you all, see you all at the top" she concluded and everyone in the hall started clapping.


She walked down the podium and she was able to manage the minutes given to her. Some other activities of the day took place and pictures were taken to keep the memory alive.


It's a memorable day as people moved from one place to another to get food packs and make connections with different families and friends. 


"Hello Beatrice, I am moved by your story and I will like us to meet sometimes soon so we get to know each other better" a deep unfamiliar voice said.


She was confused as to connect if the person is someone she has once met before or seen but after a few attempt to recall, she realised that nothing seem coming at all.


"But excuse me sir, I am not sure I know you sir" Beatrice said 


"I know right" he dips his hand into his chest pocket and hands over a complementary card to her.


"Call any of the lines here, we will take it up from there" he said as he made his way out of the canopy close to where photo session was ongoing 


"Baby girl come let's snap" Deborah called out to her to join their other friends and they moved from one place to another to have different snap shot.


"See, don't clean my makeup jere" Selina snapped out when Deborah tried to cover her eyes from the back just like their usual way of playing whenever they get to see. 


Deborah was the eldest amongst the 3 friends and she was the most reserved while Selina was the youngest but as they always say to themselves that "age is just a number," this has helped them to shove off any age difference thing that should come between them.


They became roommates in year 3 and spent the last 2 years of their time together till the graduation day. They knew that Beatrice rarely went home during short breaks or holidays and she always either hide under fellowship work or just don't feel like going home cause she needed to study.


The convocation day was the first time they heard her mention that she wishes her parents were to be alive.


"Baby girl, what's your plan tomorrow, we should hang out oh, Is 10am okay?" Deborah said


"Yes, that's fine by me and we will love to talk about things we don't know about ourselves" Selina added 


"Well, school is over and we are only waiting for our call up letters so tomorrow is fine by me too" Beatrice said.


They all bid each other goodbye. Everywhere was getting less crowdy as many cars had left the compound. Everywhere was littered with disposable plates and cups while some people were beginning to pick the used plastic bottles along the line. 


Beatrice got home tired that day with excitement written all over her but deep down, she was not totally happy. 


She put off her heels and fling the wig she was putting on across the bed. She shifted the cloth scattered on her bed to one side and she slept off.


The call that came through the phone was what woke her up...


"It's 9am already!" she said as she used her left palm to wipe down her face. She rushed to the bathroom, showered and few minutes later, she rushed out of the house.


"I am on my way already, that eatery right? Okay then" Beatrice said and ended the call.


With excitement, they all hugged each other as they secured a space that could take up 3 people at the corner of the eatery. They made order and since school days, Beatrice was the picky type and rarely ate much. She requested for sausage roll with Hollandia yoghurt while Deborah ordered her usual Jollof spaghetti with salad and Selina requested for fried rice mixed with plantain and chicken.


"So who's going first, cause I feel there are things we don't know about ourselves despite staying together for 2 years in the same room" Selina started the conversation.


"Well, Deborah is still the eldest here, she should start" Beatrice suggested and they laughed it off. 


"If it is money now, they won't say I'm the eldest ooo," Deborah said.


"Mummy Deborah, oya oo. We are listening" Selina said.


Deborah cleared her throat as she was about to share with them things they didn't know about her.


What would she say?

Watch out for the next episode.

1 comment:

  1. Uhh uuh
    This is my first time of reading ur story,its interesting I can't wait for the next episode

    ReplyDelete

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...