Thursday 26 November 2020

BUT Episode 5

 Episode 5



"I am sorry once again about the other time. Can I take this away now?" The waiter apologized as he packed the table. 


If not that the day was already scheduled for the hangout. They may not have been patient enough to listen to this story that seems not to have an end , but it's a free day and it's the start of a new phase for all of them.


Another advantage they had was that they were at one of the biggest eateries in town, with a wide space that can accommodate a lot of people at the same time without anyone being in discomfort.


"Oga abeg, I fit get toothpick?" Selina asked the waiter as he walked past them to the next table.


"No problem, I will pass it to you" the waiter said.


"So back to what I was saying." Deborah continued.


"We are with you" Beatrice replied. 


"We left home earlier than the usual that morning and we started moving towards the main road. There is this sharp corner that leads to a narrow road. The road is so narrow that it can only take a car going and then another one coming. More like a single lane kind of road. The day wasn't fully formed, but with the help of the front lights, we were able to see clearly at least."


"As we approached the corner,  we found some people standing beside the road, like they needed to get on a bus. There was an elderly woman on blue checkered gown and flowery scarf, next to her was a middle-aged man on black Jean, green shirt and sandals. A young fair chubby lady and another man on suit, holding a brief case."


"The man on suit was standing apart from the others, but he is the first person you would see  when approaching the corner. He waved at the bus to stop. My bus driver, thinking whether to help them or not, eventually stopped and  picked the 4 of them. I opened the door and the elderly woman got on the bus and sat in the front with the driver while the others entered the back seats."


"We hadn't moved too far, when I realised that I was feeling this discomfort within me but i didn't know why. As we moved, we picked other people on the way. I knew when we got to the last bus stop, everyone would get down. One major observation was that, as people were coming in, they didn't stay awake longer than 3 to 5 minutes. Before you knew it, everyone was already hitting their head against another's. At first, I assumed they were all tired, but I noticed that my boss too was already struggling between sleeping and staying awake."


"At intervals,  the elderly woman at the front of the bus would look at me through the side mirror. I didn't know if she needed to make sure  everyone was sleeping, or maybe my mind was over calculating it. When she noticed that I wasn't sleeping, she would greet me and I'd do the same. In my mind, I was already thinking that I may probably need to fake sleep, to see what she is up to, and that I did."


"Few minutes later, I overheard her directing the bus driver. I knew that was not where we were going but I couldn't talk since I didn't want her to know that I was still awake. What left me confused was why Mr Saka couldn't decline all the instructions this woman was  giving him. We kept on moving and  after a while, I heard the old woman tell the driver to stop in front of a building. "


"Building? Wait, what's going on?" Selina couldn't hold it again, she wanted to know what was happening.


Deborah carried her remaining drink and sipped it.


What happened next?

Find out in the next episode

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...