Wednesday 25 November 2020

BUT Episode 4

 Episode 4



The waiter came to pack the plates and mistakenly packed Selina's plate which had small meat left there. The waiter assumed that she was done and also, the eatery doesn't like to keep people's table unkempt.


"Excuse me, I am not done yet" Selina said and the other friends started laughing at her.


"Where did I stop sef?" Deborah asked so as to continue from what she said before she was interrupted. 


"You said something happened one afternoon like that" Beatrice tried to remind her.


"Yes that's it, that afternoon is just one afternoon that so much happened at the same time. It was a Friday and my younger siblings were playing in the church premises while I went to lessons. I was going to a lesson close by to help me with preparation for exams and dad as well had been trying to go around to see if he can find a school to volunteer or any means he could get money. Mom as well wasn't finding it easy as she was going around to see if she can secure a small apartment for us to stay"


"Although that morning, mum brought us one fufu like that and told us that she couldn't afford to get stew. My younger ones took the fufu with water while I had tears for breakfast instead. I couldn't bear all that was happening, I didn't eat and I left home for the lesson just for me to get to the church compound and was told my sibling had been rushed to the hospital"


"What? Hospital ke?" Selina, who was sipping her drink, drops the cup on the table as she screams out in curiosity to know what happened.


"We were told someone saw them while playing around and asked them to take money to go help him buy food and they should take the remaining change. They ended up using the money to buy this sachet drink not knowing that the drink has been expired and contaminated. They were rushed to the hospital when they realized that Isaac my baby brother was rolling on the floor with something foamy coming out of his mouth and Becky was purging blood"


"Jesus christ" Beatrice shouted. 


"The remaining money that my parents were able to raise, mostly my dad, he eventually used that money for siblings hospital bills and as at that time, we were close to the deadline of payment for the final exams. In fact, if we didn't pay that week after, I may not be able to write the exam with them but what is more important at that moment than seeing that my siblings stay alive? I saw tears rolling down my mother's cheek but she's always acting strong"


"The doctor gave them some prescription and my siblings started responding to the treatment. We were assured that they will be fine in days and back to their feet. I was angry deep down that why is my dad not wanting to beg for help and why do people see us going through all we were going through and help isn't forthcoming. It's indeed a moment in my life that broke me"


"Unfortunately, I couldn't meet up with writing the exams with my mate and this started running me into depression gradually. I asked myself how I can be of help to the need of the family and an idea came through my mind"


"What's that? What's the idea?" Selina asked. 


"There is this man whose house is very close to church, the wife is the one selling provisions, drinks and the likes directly opposite to the church fence. The husband is a bus driver that leaves home very early in the morning and comes back around 8pm in the night. The bus is all this 18 passenger bus and I concluded that I won't tell my parent about the move cause it may not be a cool way to go for them"


"Wait, is it that you want to be the bus conductor with him or you want to ask for dad?" Beatrice asked. 


Deborah started smiling and this left them wondering what's going on. 


"I actually volunteered to go and be helping this man. I only told them at home that I got a small job that I will be managing in order to assist the family and help to cater for one or two things. I was able to talk to the wife as well as let my younger sister be working with her at the shop and anything they can afford, they should please help us. The first thing the wife asked me was what's our church people doing to help us? I was speechless till she rounded it up with saying she knows that our church members don't like helping themselves. That's why you will see someone changing car every now and then while they will see their fellow members suffering and begging for food"


"The first day I followed the man, he already gave me some orientation on how to call places, how to ask for money and how to bypass the unit that always wants to task the bus driver. Deep down, I was scared because I'm a lady and I'm not sure it will be that easy but I gave it a shot and zero my mind that whatever happens, I will face it. I need to survive and I will do anything possible to make it"


"It was stressful the first day and gradually I was getting used to it. My younger sister always finds a way to bring something home for my parents too. The wife of this man had been giving her food and sometimes provision to give to my family"


"Mehn, you have gone through a lot in that age oo" Selina said.


"One of my outings with the bus driver. His name is Mr Saka and I will always be grateful to God for his family. I was out with him and that day, we left earlier than the usual and we started moving towards the main road, I was met with biggest shock of my life"


"What's that again? The way you everything is just happening eh?" Beatrice cuts in.


What happened?

Find out in the next episode

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...