Sunday 21 June 2020

EIGHTEEN THIRTY FIVE- 1835

Story by O'nezer

"Good morning here, anyone at home"

A man dressed in a cream color shirt with black trouser was seen at the entrance of Mr Kingsley's house.

Mr Kingsley peeped through the window and realised that the face of the man standing outside isn't familiar. 

He stopped everything he was doing to come and attend to him but before he moved too far, his mind started calculating who it could be.

Could this man be one of the power supply agent that wants to come and ask for my bills? Not at all. Kingsley already knew that if he doesn't have money at all, he must not carry paying his power bills over. 

Could it be from the water supply or where? It's not like he has an unfinished business with anyone or so.
He ignored his mind and went straight to open the door.

"Good morning sir, how may I help you" curiosity was written all over Kingsley's face. 
"Good morning, you are Mr Kingsley right?" The stranger asked so as to clear his doubt.
"I was told there Is a vacant room in this compound and I'm being directed to ask of you" the stranger said and Kingsley pointed the room to him and went back to his room.

He picked up his pen and started writing something down on his journal but in a twinkling of an eye, he fell asleep.

***************************************
"Oga abeg, please have mercy on me, I have tried all my best possible, there is no place I haven't gone to but...." Frederick fell on his knees crying and begging his boss.

Engineer Gboyega is one of the renowned wealthy consultant and engineer in the town, he is known both home and abroad for his exceptional ways of making things happen.   

Many people always run to him for help as he is a cheerful giver and a problem solver to many.
I remembered when he celebrated his 50th birthday, people turned out so much for him that the 1000 capacity building couldn't take half the people that came around. In short, you will think it was a crusade. 

Everyone ate to their satisfaction and many people took food home for their family and friends who couldn't grace the occasion. 

"Engineer is a Godsent to our generation" a young light-skinned woman gave her speech while some other people shared the experience of how engineer has come to their rescue financially. 

He is rich and he has investments in different segment but he has a greater share in real estate that there is no state or town that you will not see his properties and brand name. 

************Few Years Ago****************

"Oga, I beg you in the name of God, help me with 100 thousand naira, there is this farming business and investment that I got and all I have on me won't be enough sir" Frederick has said that afternoon. 

After so much persuasion and persistent disturbance, engineer finally agreed that he will help but there is a condition. 

"Any condition sir, I will do it and I promise to return the money even if it will require me to pay interest" 

"My condition isn't hard, I know you to be one of the loyal staff I have in this company too and this is it, you only have 7 months to return this money, I hope I can have it by then" engineer said with his baritone voice. 

Frederick promised to meet up and even pay earlier than that if he is lucky enough to finish up the deal and all that.

**************Back To Present*************

"This is the 3rd year that you've been owing and I have sent different warning but since you want me to take it this way, I think there is nothing I can do at the moment" and many more was said by engineer angrily.

"Yes sir, please give me more time I promise to pay everything soon. It won't be long again sir"
He begged amidst tears that day but engineer isn't having it as he has given him enough time to pay up already.

Engineer had already taken away everything he has, not just his properties alone but his family as well.
"Daddy... daddy" one of Frederick's children called out from the inner room where they have been kept. 
Frederick couldn't control his tears as he heard the cry of his daughter.

"Darling, please have mercy on him and give him more time, Engineer's wife said. He said he will pay it soon" she faced Frederick  "abi (right)?" 

"Yes ma, I will... I will" amidst tears with shaky voice he begged again and again. 

Engineer sighed as he raised his head up and trying to figure out what to do. 

"Tim.... Tim, come here" engineer commanded one of the workers to come closer and he whispered something to his ears. 

"Daddy... daddy" Karen and Kate ran towards their dad as their mother followed behind.

"I'm sorry daddy has to put you through this stress, I hope I make it up to you and you will find a space in your heart to accept my flaws and forgive me" Frederick has said trying to wipe the tears from his children's face. 

"From the bottom of my heart, I am willing to leave the money and everything back to you, use the money to take care of your lovely kids and beautiful wife"

"Oh my God, oh my God!..." Frederick was saying repeatedly that he couldn't even hide his excitement. 

He started rolling from one edge of the room to another to show how happy and grateful he is for everything. He got up minutes later and faced his wife.

"Dear, you take the children home, let me see what I can still help the engineer with before coming home.

The wife left the compound excited as she was holding her kids.

**************5 HOURS LATER**************

"I am done sir, thanks so much for today sir" Frederick said as he was leaving Engineer's house. 

As he was stepping out of the house, he saw someone coming whose face seems familiar but not sure if he is the one or not.
"My eyes doesn't deceive me, is that not Justin?" he was talking to himself as the other person was getting closer.

"I knew it, Justin, finally we are seeing you again after how many months" Frederick was trying to let him know he is angry with him and Justin was trying to explain but none of his explanations were entering Frederick's ears. 
He locked his shirt up and started dragging him.

"Pay me the one thousand naira you are owing me, since all this while, I've been sending people to help me remind you but you chose to be doing hide and seek with me" he kept on punching Justin and dragging him.

"I can't breathe.. I can't breathe" Justin kept shouting till his voice started fading out.
In the process of punching, pushing and dragging, Justin passed out.

"You think you can be pretending here because of my money abi, better open your eyes" Frederick was still thinking it's a prank until he placed his head on his chest to confirm if he truly died or not.

"Wake up, Justin, please wake up" he tried lifting his hands up to better confirm again but it was too late already.

Some of the staff working for engineer saw what Frederick had done and quickly the matter got to Engineer's ears. This made Engineer to be disappointed and very angry. 

He sent for Frederick and in no time, Frederick showed up in front of him. 
"Was it not some hours ago that I gave you access to your family and willingly ask you to take the whole money and everything?" 

He wanted to apologize but it was late as he was instructed to be sent to the jail till he finds a way to pay all that he owed. 

*********************************************

Another knock on the door was what woke Kingsley from his sleep.

"Oh pastor, welcome sir, I'm excited to see you" Kingsley welcomed him and offered him drinks and snacks. 

Kingsley narrated the story to the pastor but the reply from pastor got Kingsley more confused.  

"There is a code you need to understand, code 1835 has the perfect interpretation for this but before then, is there someone you have locked up in your heart?" Pastor asked...

"Locked up bawo? Nobody sir"

"Prayerfully think about this brother Kingsley" pastor tried to make him remember. 

There was silence for few minutes and it was broken by brother Kingsley when he said "oh oh oh, I think I can remember now"

"At my work place about 3 years ago, my immediate boss always felt intimidated by having me around and that was why he worked on my transfer down to this outskirt from head office.  At a point, I was praying for him to die or lose his job sef"

"Brother Kingsley"! the pastor exclaimed.

"Turn with me your Bible to Matthew Chapter 18 Verse 35" Pastor said as Kingsley opened and read....

Matthew 18:35  "So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses".

"We have so many people who GOD forgave of their sins that are bigger than the offenses of their fellow men that they are not willing to forgive. 

If he can forgive you, you should forgive others and stop punishing yourself, whoever you have locked up in your heart, Prayerfully free them and feel free today" pastor concluded. 

Brother Kingsley broke down in tears and in his shaky voice, he said to the pastor "please pray for me"
"Shall we pray" the pastor said.

The END.
Eighteen Thirty Five (1835)
Story by O'nezer

1 comment:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...