Tuesday 2 June 2020

FOLA Season 2, Episode 2


Season 2, Episode 2


"Truth? what truth is it that can't wait till we are done with this wedding" my father interrupted but I can see my mother trying to pin dad down not to interfere.

"Many years ago, this lady here came to me and told me about the doctor's report about her husband" this was what the man started the story with.

Everyone was confused because this man isn't mentioning names or pointing hands at anyone which was leaving all of us clueless but still I can hear the mumbling from the congregation. 

"She asked me to help her and not put her family to shame which I agreed to, we had this deal together that year and we promised never to come back to it but I think I can't be out there knowing fully that I have a child who is grown enough to know the truth"

At this point, I didn't know whether to run or stay. My legs are beginning to shake and my body couldn't rest on the legs again. I was sweating on one side of my face and my Best lady couldn't stop cleaning me up at every interval.

"This girl is mine and I am the one that is right enough to hand her over to this man in marriage" 

I saw my mother's face and I wanted to believe this unknown man is either lying against my mother or maybe someone somewhere has paid the man to come and scatter the wedding. 

"Wait, don't let us get things mixed up here o, which child are we talking about here" my father interrupted the man who no one knows his name or details.

My mother is not saying anything either. She just kept a straight face as we all don't know who is who.

Could it be me or my husband to be? Who is a bastard here?

My mother kept her cool so much that no one could even link it back to her. My husband's parents too were asking each other if what the man is saying is about them. 

"Let's continue with the wedding, let's take the vows and ignore this old fool" my husband said angrily but the man still wouldn't let any of this be possible as he is not quiet and he was repeatedly shouting "hear me out and don't make any stupid mistake".


"Help me Gabriel, help me! I went to the doctor with my husband today to find out why we are not having our child yet after our 3rd year of marriage, I don't know if my husband isn't hitting the right spot or we ain't praying enough, anyhow you can help me, just try and help me" this and many more were the words that was said that day.

"Becky, you thought I won't come for my daughter? You made a big mistake, I know all these words I just said now are not totally unfamiliar to you" 

All attention has now been shifted to my mother. I don't want to believe that my mother has something she has never told my father or even myself. 

Does it mean the man I have been calling father isn't my father? No, I had to quickly snap out of that imagination it just can't be true.

I can read the anger on my father's face. My father didn't wait to hear my mother's side of the story before a thunder-like slap landed on my mother's face.

My father's memory went back to when he and my mom were waiting for the fruit of the womb and how the doctor told him he has low sperm count and the necessary steps to be taken. He also assured them that this can only be hard for humans, but with God all things are possible.

"I can explain, I can explain" was what my mother was saying amidst tears, she has already lost the head gear she was putting on and she looked so pale already as she is trying to make her confession. 

"After the 3rd year of our marriage when we have attempted everything we could, it was then I went to Gabriel to help me out, I never knew a day like this will come". Everyone was reacting differently.

Gabriel and my mother are ex-lovers but because Gabriel is one leg in and one leg out. Today he is in church, tomorrow he is with his herbalist who always helps him out on any issue. My mother's family didn't support their relationship that was why they chose my dad for her back then but old love never dies they say.

"I have this baba that I will take you to, he has a solution to any problem you can ever think of '' was the suggestion Gabriel gave my mother that day.

On getting to baba's place, when he consulted his Oracle and all other things he had to ask, he told them both that they are destined to be together and have 3 children but my mother was already married while Gabriel was still single then.

The only solution baba could render that day was that they both had to sleep with each other so that she can conceive and that it's the glory of a child that draws another.
They both agreed to this deal and they promised never to come back to any such deal.

Gabriel was the first person my mother told she was pregnant before telling my dad. Gabriel was so excited but couldn't claim the child since it's a deal.

Weeks later, my mother came with a pregnancy test that made my dad feel like the most excited man on earth.

On many occasions, Gabriel had threatened my mother that he would come to their house to scatter everything. 

"Better look for a way to kill your husband and let's get married" was one of the suggestions the man gave my mother back then but she rejected the offer because she wouldn't have her hands stained with blood.


When the threat was getting so much, as it coincidentally fell into that time my father had the head beating by mother, she quickly agreed to the idea of relocating from the main town to the small town at the outskirts of the town.

Now I realised why it was so hard for my mother to just leave my father when he was beating her mercilessly. It is because the man outside is also waiting for their house to scatter so as to come and claim me as his daughter. 

When my mother was done explaining all she could with tears rolling down her face, she apologized telling my father she did everything for his sake based on how the pressure from his family was getting to him while they were still looking for a child.

The second slap landed on my mother's face and people were beginning to come in between them before it would get more bloody.

"You didn't do any of this nonsense for me, you are selfish, you are just heartless, how could you do this to me? You even went as far as going to a baba just because we are looking for a child? Where did you put your faith" my father broke down in tears.

Suddenly, my father fell on the wooden chair that the bride and groom's family were led to sit on. 

Everyone rallied round him to resuscitate him. Three ushers came rushing him as everyone was already confused on what to do.

They rushed him out and in a moment, everyone had started moving out of the church to see how it would all end. I already forgot I was getting married, I already removed the veil and gave it to my best lady.

I may say I don't like my father but he has been the one I knew as father since I was a child and not just one random man that shows up on my wedding day.

I pulled out the heels I was wearing and I was no more myself because my brain couldn't process all the drama that is happening.

"Dear, dear wait for me" I could hear my husband-to-be calling me but I couldn't wait. I followed the car as they rushed my father to the hospital. 

My mother followed her friend's car and my husband to be also carrying his car. My Best lady, best man and one of my friends followed my husband-to-be in his car.

Reception? No one even remembered that. All on our mind is how this whole drama will end and how we can move past it.

I still can't believe that I'm getting married that day. I don't think I want to even continue with the wedding of a thing. 

"Drive fast please, he must not die" I was begging and hurrying the driver that drove the car that I was in.

"Daddy, daddy, please stay with me" I screamed while having my dad's head on my lap.

What happened next?
Watch out for the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...