Thursday 16 July 2020

THE LEAP YEAR Ep 12

Episode 12.

It was already getting late and everyone who cares to listen to what Mr Yomi still has left to say couldn't move an inch.

"My sister requested for the toughest deal but before she proceeded to her request, she started with saying that she knows everyone has a secret they are not telling. I got quite uneasy. Wondering if she knew about me....

She started with Saka and I wasn't so sure if she was about to tell me what I know already. She mentioned the first night she figured out that Saka was coming to Rose's room, she said she needed to pick a novel she found in my room but on getting there she couldn't find me, she looked everywhere for me but yet she didn't find me. The moment she knocked on Rose's door, she hasn't stayed for too long before she saw someone coming towards the door, she had to crawl behind the chair and watched... It was then she saw Saka as he entered the room".

"Deep down, I was troubled whether she knew I was also in that room that same night or not I needed to know but I didn't want to interrupt her as I wanted to know all she knew before I will decide whether I want to accept the deal or not. A part of me would want to report to daddy at least but I didn't know if that willl change anything anyways".

I was still thinking when she interrupted my thoughts..."Then coming down to Mom, she continued; I know there is a man friend that do hang out with mom. I also know they have a usual hotel where they stay in town and that's why mom spends weeks even months outside sometimes before coming back home. 

"It was one of her classmate's parent who knew the man mom was going out with; they had mentioned that at their family gist during dinner one day and her classmate got to know and started making mockery of her in school".

"The moment she mentioned that mom's part. I knew the game was almost up. Little did I know that my younger sister has known all these all along. I had always thought happily to myself that she was safe and secured but now I know better. 
Knowing this, I hated my mother so much the more that I never wanted to have anything to do with her anymore as she has not only ruined my life, now my sister... she has caused more damage beyond repair in the family."

I asked if that was all about what she wanted to say so we can have the deal right away. I was very curious. I just wanted to know what she was up to.

She told me she knew dad had been faithful both in church and home, she appreciated the fact that dad in his little way was trying to stay strong for the sake of we his children. Very many things she said about dad but the only thing and most important was still missing and that is that he doesn't have full time for us to know what we are facing or passing through, our challenges, our fears, our life generally especially as mom was totally out of the picture. 

"Of a truth we lacked good parental care and upbringing. Dad was just concerned about putting food on the table, giving us a comfortable stress-free life like he claimed and that was all. But that isn't all there is to parenting. I wished all these never came to be. I wished they were much available for us all along. I wished there can even be a change now but has things not gone beyond changing? Are they even seeing a need to change and start afresh? I don't think so."

"It was surprising that at such tender age my parents didn't even know what we do, who we move with, how we fared or are faring with our personal lives. God should just help our generation" Mr Yomi sighed heavily. 

"So our deal?" she interrupted my thoughts again. Yes, the deal? What is it? I asked. 
"Now that we both know we all have secrets, I want that you don't mention this to dad or any other person. Do you agree to this or not?" 

I was surprised and indecisive. I called it a tough deal because I didn't know whether to accept it or not.  Accepting will mean we want to keep keeping all these as secrets. And I didn't think that was good enough. Secondly, not accepting will mean I was ready to report to dad but then where and how do I start? How do I bear such news? Was I also ready to report myself and Rose or just my sister and brother Andrew?? Honestly, I didn't know what to make of her deal. 

"Immediately a thought flashed across my mind... It seemed she didn't know about mine. I was quite excited. If it was only about Saka and Rose she knew, then that will be fine. We can tell dad about it too and request that Aunty Rose leaves in that case I'd be free. I promise myself to try to get over her. To me, If that was the case, I won't accept the deal. I'll find a means to mildly and if possible indirectly bring this to dad's knowledge. I don't wish to leave my sister in this state. I know and understand that a lot has gone wrong but I'm hoping that dad will be able to talk to her and watch her more closely when he finds out."

"She interrupted my silent excitement as though she had heard all that was being said in my mind with asking if she should add that I do sneak in to Rose's room too, immediately I heard that, I knew the game was up. My head was banging, I developed a cold feet and my palms were sweaty already. 
I asked for how long she had known that I do sneak into Rose's room, unfortunately, she had known for a long while but kept silent about it.

"I felt very ashamed, I couldn't explain how much damage this has caused and how much we have been battling with for so long a time." 
I asked for how long she has been doing this with the lesson teacher... "About two months... This is the 5th time... I'm sorry brother I couldn't tell you about it" she had said. I totally understand you dear sister, I know how it is. I'm sorry I couldn't be a better example for you.

Back to the proposed deal...
"I told her right away that we don't have to make any deal, so much had really gone wrong and escalating the issue will only be more problem for the family and we don't even know how daddy will take all these news or how he will feel about it"
So, we both concluded we won't talk about it again to anyone but then the lesson teacher won't be coming again, we agreed to tell our parents we were very fine now and won't be needing any lesson teacher. 

True to our word, all these were kept between the both of us and we never mentioned it to anyone.
"I tried my best possible not to go to Rose's room for that period, though my body still craved for it but I had to fight to actually let go and start working on a better distraction"

"Stopping brother Andrew as we've agreed wasn't a hard task to do. Luckily for us Mom came back home on Sunday evening so we tabled our request. Dad objected at first since we couldn't give a reasonable reason why we wanted him to stop taking us home lesson but as long as mom was around and we knew she will take our side we pressed further and she agreed. Dad was left with no option but to accept it too. He was paid off for the month and was asked to go.

 "But... but... what brought you to the cell?" the assistant captain asked.

"We're getting there... I'm almost rounding off anyways"  Mr Yomi said as he rubbed his palm together"

What happened next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...