Saturday 18 July 2020

THE LEAP YEAR Ep 14

Episode 14.

Everyday of the week was always busy and everyone kept working tirelessly, there was no stopping until the work is done. There are targets to every week's work and only when that target is met would they be allowed to rest. Weekend was most often their moment of rest unless on weeks when they couldn't complete the week's target before weekend; they'll have to complete it during the weekend.
Everyone's excitement wasn't about the 4 walls of the cell but for the light of Christ that has shone in their way. 

One week later, it was on a Sunday afternoon, cell fellowship had ended and they all went for lunch. Shortly after the lunch, the captain reminded them of their story time. All cell 3 members responded with excitement. They all made way to their room, took positions as the answer to the captain's question was about to be answered.

"My name is Peter Badmus, a graduate of Ecnomics and the only son of my parents, I have an elder sister, Promise Badmus. My parents told me how it took them time before they were able to bear their first child, my sister. But I am yet to figure out why the age gap between my sister and I is that long. They never made mention of that and I didn't bother to ask".

"I love music, I started singing and leading choir groups in my church when I was in junior secondary school. Although I had learnt how to play drum while in primary school. I also went further to learn playing a guitar at junior school two. I had several songs that I wrote and one of the things that helped me was having a good music coordinator, Mr Akande. Even if your song doesn't make too much sense, he will encourage you first and mark out the places you need to work on before saying you should go effect the change cited and fine tune it". 
He has never for once thrown anyone's composition to the winds. 

"After my junior school certificate examination, I proceeded to the senior secondary class one, I attended all classes as that was the law in my school then. It was until senior class two before one can decide on a particular department to go into. 

My senior class one result was very okay. I could say I successfully passed average. My percentage then was 79.5%. "Well, this were new courses we were introduced to" I tried to encourage myself and promised to do better as I go along.

When it was time to choose a department, problem struck. I told my parents I was going for the music department. Severally, the question I was being asked was "how many people do I know who is rich today by mere singing". I wanted to mention names but the Information I had wasn't convincing enough to let them see I could do better being an art student and proceed to study music in the University.

"We are in an environment where every parent want their kids to be doctors, nurses, lawyers or an accountant. Even an engineer! So, of all these professions you didn't see anyone to choose and you're telling us music" my mother had said. "If you don't fall into these categories, then nobody will see you as being serious". She concluded.

"I wasn't an A grade student but I'm thankful to God that I wasn't repeating class too. In a way, my education moved kindof fast as I entered junior school at age 9 and when I was 15, I was writing the senior school certificate examination".

"Most of my parent's decisions were always influenced by our church people, once they say something is bad, my parents doesn't check it twice before believing it and this attitude has pushed many people to the wrong path"

"Also, the way we lived was more like a routine... how ones life must go was more like it has been patterned. you start first with attending kiddies school then to high school and tertiary institution, get a job, get married and start raising a family."

This chain is hard to break and every opportunity our parent had missed, they want to make it right using us as standard for their mistakes. It isn't bad per se but the way they go about it is bad.

"Since they wouldn't let me go for the music I wanted, I tried to select courses as will leave me on two sides Art and Commercial departments. It wasn't easy doing this but I had to since that was what my parents wanted."

I knew how many University entrance examinations I wrote before I eventually opt for Economics.  It became very bad that I was hiding from my friends when some of them were in their second or third year while some where already in their final year and there I was still fighting with my juniors on the queue of registration on campus.

"I wished they allowed me use my musical skill beyond church. I planned sending myself to a music school and if possible get a second BSc in Music but that would be after I had gotten my first BSc in Economics and start working to save money for it since my parents had concluded they won't sponsor anything music"

"My elder sister was already doing fine, she had finished her master's program too. she was working in a good and well paying organisation. She had once begged my parents to let me study music but all plea fell on deaf ears. I had to give up on getting a career in music till the best time I could."

"But you haven't mentioned what brought you down here" one of the inmate cut in...

"Let us enjoy the story please" the other inmate replied harshly. It almost resulted in a duel. Thank God the captain was there. He settled the drama before they start to draw unnecessary attention.
"Please continue" the captain said.

I finished with a good grade, I was expecting my parents to give me a bit freedom at least the freedom to make decisions for myself but NO! they were still monitoring everything I do. 

"My mother will always say we want the best for you and this is the best. You must do as we say. We can't leave you to chance, I can't watch you become one of those bad boys in the street." But down deep in my heart, I've had several experiences that they don't even know of. Yet she keeps talking of not leaving me to chance like she knows me more than I do.

"Don't forget there was a routine that after school, you get a job doing, work a bit and then get married."  I knew I wasn't ready for marriage; I was still very young... why will I want to jump into marriage at this early age?... I needed to work, keep working and enjoy my Bachelorhood till the time is right.

"A knock on the door and the warder came calling Peter that he has a visitor".
A visitor?

Who could it be?

Watch out for what next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...