Sunday 19 July 2020

THE LEAP YEAR Ep 15- Finale

Episode 15 (finale)

"I have to decide what I want for my child too mom, if you all had taken time to investigate well, he wouldn't have landed in cell for what he didn't do" and many more were the words coming out from the reception room in the prison.

"I could recognise my sister's voice, and I believed she was talking to my mother as I heard her saying mom. But I don't know who else was in the conversation" Peter said to himself as he moved closer to the open space. 

"I am glad to tell you that the State Government has revisited your case and assisted us through another investigative team which has proven that you are innocent" Lawyer Ebun had said as she stretched hand to greet Peter.

Peter couldn't hide his emotions, the tears flowed freely. Finally he was free after weeks of staying in the prison and suffering for a sin he never committed.

"Son, cheer up, you have been released and that's why we all followed the head of the investigating team, Mr Timilehin down here" Peter's dad said.

He noticed the unusual quietness between his mom and his sister but he couldn't place why. Well, maybe they have an unfinished argument... he thought to himself. But all that mattered most was he has been released from the cell. "Come here son" mom moved closer with her arms open for a hug. "I've missed you, we're sorry for everything" she said. My big sister also joined in the embrace. "I missed you more my darling, but you're looking thin" she teased. "That's because you abandoned me" I said smiling. We all laughed. 

It was a happy moment for us all. "Can we go home now?" Dad requested.

"Can I at least say goodbye to the guys in my room?" Peter requested and he quickly rushed back to cell 3. He hugged them all from Mr Yomi to the captain and then others. Tears of joy and sadness. Mixed feelings. He cried as he walked out of the cell room to join his family outside, they all waved him goodbye as some of them still had tears in their eyes. "Be a good boy" Mr Yomi said as he waved.

Few minutes later, they were set to drive back home. They started their journey and much word weren't said in the car. Peter slept almost throughout the journey to the extent that he didn't know when they got home. His sister had to tap him to wake up "Hey bro we're home". They all went inside.

It was an exciting moment as Peter could get back to the comfort of his home. The few weeks he has spent in the cell gave him another experience of life but most importantly, it drew him closer to God. He had given his life to God in one of their fellowship services.
He was happy to be back home but he still didn't know how they came about his release.

"Good afternoon sis, but how did it happen?" He asked his sister
"How did what happen?" Promise questioned in return

My release. I'm still surprised. I had given up hope since the judgement was made that day. 
Oh! My dear, let's just say it's God. Sit and I'll tell you. 

You know I shouldn't have been back now but something strange happened over there I wouldn't go into that anyways it's past now. But I believe God used it for this cause. So, I decided to return home. On my return, I was faced with the news of your sentence. I was confused on what to do especially as you have already been sentenced.

I heard mom's side of the story and it was obvious you were innocent but what could we do?...

I tried to see what I could do. I got to know Lawyer Ebun was in charge of the case. I went to her and fortunately it was Ebunoluwa Ladipo, my classmate from primary and secondary school. We went to the same University too but I graduated before her. We've long lost contact. I had long forgotten she studied law. The name didn't ring a bell to me then until I saw her in the office. It was a lovely reunion. 

She promised to help for old time friendship sake. We went back to the interview centre and luckily we found someone who took us to the manager's house. On getting there, the truth was revealed. You wouldn't believe. God is just great. 
After we introduced ourselves and stated our reason for being there, they started apologizing that they've been looking for a way to get to us for the past two weeks but they didn't know how to. 

"According to the manager's brother, someone who for reasons best known to him had entered the office to place the stuff on her seat and left. It was only unfortunate that you entered the right place at the wrong time. He came confessing two weeks ago and asked that the family forgive him. He died two days later.  We were shocked. Indeed God had been working in the background without us knowing. He promised to follow us to witness. And that was it my dear. Lawyer Ebun took it up from there. It wasn't very easy but God gave us victory."
Here you are today. Promise said smiling

Peter was shocked and speechless. He couldn't thank God enough.
Thanks for everything sis what could I have done without you... he said hugging her.
Lawyer Ebun was invited for dinner with the family few days later and he got the opportunity to thank her personally.

Life was normal again and they lived happily as a family until one afternoon.
There was noise coming from the sitting room while he was taking a nap in his room.
He moved towards the sitting room until he could hear the voices clearly.

"You see mom, let's take it a bit from the decision of forcing him to study Economics in school when you knew he is very much interested in music and should've done better there. On many occasions, I've stumbled on his note and found different songs he had written but none of you cared to listen or hear him out. Even after I pleaded with you, you still refused." Promise said.

"We wanted the best for him and the best we can do is to make him go to school and study a course that is professional and marketable not music. Musicians are beggars and we can't open our eyes and watch that happen" mom said but dad interrupted the conversation.

"Look at you now, you are working as a project manager at your firm, if you hadn't gone to school to study that, you may not have gotten the job and...."

"Daddy don't say that, I don't mean to interrupt you or to be rude. But it was in the process of him looking for the job you wanted that caused him to enter the interview centre that day, that got him into trouble and even landed him in prison." Promise said as she paced around the sitting room.

Peter stood behind the door eavesdropping on their conversation.

"You know mom, if not that I had gotten back when I did and met with Lawyer Ebun who helped for friendship sake and even went the extra mile, we wouldn't have known that a charm was placed on the woman's seat shortly before Peter entered. If he had stayed at home that day, he wouldn't have been accused of murder. But because you wanted him to have that job you desired, you got him into trouble and it almost ruined his life."
"See mom, dad, at this point, I think I need to make decisions for my son" Promise concluded.

"Son... which son?" Peter muttered behind the door.
"Excuse me, what's going on here?" He stormed out from his hiding. 

"You see what you have caused?" Mother said angrily. 

"Today, you will know what happened, take a seat" dad had said.

"On the 29th day of February, 1992, a leap year, was a day of both joy and sadness for us as our dear daughter here Promise whom we gave birth to after years of waiting on God gave birth to a child out of wedlock. You normally celebrate your birthday on the 28th but you were born on the 29th. We had no option but to cover the shame so, we took the child as our own and made people believe we gave birth to you. Only very few persons knew the truth and we warned them never to mention a word of it".

"Promise here is your mother, not your sister" dad said and shock was written all over Peter's face. He couldn't believe the person he had known as sister is his mother.
"I'm sorry my dear, I couldn't bring myself to telling you about this" promise said pleading
For this long? How long more did you plan to keep this away from me?? 
I'm very sorry. Please forgive me my child. We're sorry Son dad joined.
"Okay okay but, who's my father and where is him?" Peter asked to quench his curiosity. 

"His name is Yomi but popularly known as YC money, he is from a wealthy family. We met in school and we were friends or lovers I'll say. He was a cultist. I was pregnant for him back then before he was arrested and rusticated from school. Since then we haven't met. He may probably be dead or still in jail. I wasn't at his trial because he never wanted the baby. So, I didn't have anything to do with him again. I came home told my parents about it and with their help I was able to finish my final year without being disturbed by the pregnancy or birth" Promise said.

"Yomi Cole you mean? Is he the YC money back at school?" Peter asked surprised.

"Yes he is. How did you know him?" Promised asked as everyone was surprised that Peter knew his father.

Peter explained how he met him in the cell. "The story he shared with us and what you just said is same. He is the one" Peter said "But he is now a Christian and he led me to Christ too. His story was really touching not the way you said it. You didn't even know him much. He battled with a lot of things as a child. Well, thank God it's all over now" he added.

Weeks later, they all visited the prison; Peter went to cell 3 to say hello to his friends, he cheered them up and encouraged them. He then called Mr Yomi aside, introduced him to his family and as soon as he mentioned Promise Badmus, he remembered immediately. 

The same Promise Badmus? Mr Yomi was in shock. Promise too was shocked to realize he was indeed the one. "I'm very sorry, I'm sorry for everything, for abandoning you and the baby, for ....." he was still talking when Promise cut in "It's okay.. I'm very sorry too for not looking out for you and for not being present at your trial" It was a moment of Joy as the spirit of forgiveness hovered around them. They hugged each other and wept. It was obvious the love hadn't die. 

"True love they really say can never die". Mr Yomi apologized to Mr and Mrs Badmus and he was forgiven and accepted as a son to them. 
"How about the child?" he asked Promise. Did you have it? 

"Yes I did. He is a boy" she said smiling. 
Oh thank God! Where is he now? In school, at home?? Mr Yomi asked further

He's standing right behind you. 

"What? Peter??? I can't believe this. You're my son? Oh you're my son!" He ran to him and threw his arms around him in a warm embrace. I'm sorry... I'm sorry I wasn't available for you. He pleaded.

"Don't mention dad... you know I know the story already" He said and embraced him too.

"Thank God I met my father. Thank God I met my son" They said locking themselves in an embrace. 

It was a wonderful moment of reuniting and Promise was excited knowing that Yomi is alive and now a Christian as well. She promised to accept Christ too. They chatted for as long as the visiting hours lasted before going home. 

They visited him regularly and kept praying that he stays strong for the remaining two years.

Months later, on the 29th day of February, 2016 the presidential pardon came and Yomi was among those that were released. 

His parents and sister were present to take him home as well as his new family.
They all went to Mr Cole's house. And Yomi introduced them to his parents and told them what had happened. He was pardoned. "My dear, Jesus has pardoned us, who are we not to forgive you?" 

The Badmus' were accepted and welcomed by the Cole's. It was a wonderful moment of family reunion.

A dinner/house-party was held for both family that night at the Cole's house.
It was another 29th February, a leap year and Peter was celebrating his 24th birthday. 

It was more than double celebration for them that day.

"Indeed it's a LEAP YEAR to remember" Mr Yomi Cole said as he raised his glass for a toast.

They all ate and merried as the DJ ended the party with cool joyous music. 

Promise and Yomi ended up tying the knot. 
The wedding party was very elaborate. From the bride's glamorous dress, to the elegant cake, to the decor of the event centre name it. Food and drinks were in abundance, wines of various brands. Good music. Nice environment. The air was serene. Friends, families and well-wishers from all over the world were present to celebrate with both families. Lawyer Ebun was present too.

The party came to an end.

Everyone says cheese as the cameraman took the family picture.


THE END.. 

NOTE: No matter how rough the journey may be, with GOD there will be light at the end of the tunnel.


List of O'nezer Stories. 
1. Pamilerin
2. The wedding reception
3. Last Sunday evening
4. End of the tunnel
5. Dark path
6. Adopted
7. Adebimpe
8. Facebook fiancé
9. Corper Wale
10. The Wait
11. Lily
12. Shattered
13. Boomerang (story of brother bode)
14. Beyond the shade
15. Happy child with many sorrow
16. Sleeveless 
17. FOLA
18. The Leap Year

If you miss any of this stories, you can read through on osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com or check Facebook: Osunniran Ebenezer

1 comment:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...