Monday 6 July 2020

THE LEAP YEAR Ep 2


Episode 2.

"My name is Yomi Cole, you see that Cole in my name it's like a pass to anywhere I want to enter in this world" the man said as he started his story. 

"Cole as I earlier mentioned is my father's name, he is a renowned businessman that deals with all round and all kind of businesses, name it, he is there. He invested from building materials to site management, real estate, clothing, transportation and even food stuff" he said with a smile on his face. 

He kept smiling as he talked about the wealth of his father. 

"My father, Joseph Cole and my mother Kemi Cole got married at a young age. My mother's family contributed most to my father's business when he was starting up, they expected much more from him but I think he disappointed them by not meeting up. So this gave my mom the opportunity to always abuse him or have her way around things. Soon enough she joined him to manage the companies and not long there was progress"

"How do you mean sir? Can you shed more light" one of the inmate asked.

Mr Yomi Cole wasn't totally sounding like he wants to summarize his journey as he was taking them back to his family matter and all that has led him down to the cell.

"My father kept on having issues with my mother and at that time, I  was only 4 years old while my baby sister was 2years old. I've seen days when my father will be frustrated by my mother's attitude but instead of fighting with her, he will beg her and try to calm her down but my mother will never take a bow".

"As we grew, we enjoyed the wealth of our father as he is not only financially stable, he is also a bit of a spiritual person compared to my mother, my mother is the jayejaye (fun lover) kind of person. She goes from one party to another, she would rather be at a party for 12 hours than to be in a vigil for 2 hours. Her weekends are always engaged. If not a friend's party it will be an association member's occasion. There just must be something to take her weekend" he further narrated as he adjusted his seat.

"There was a time I counted five whole weekends that mom wasn't at home. The fifth time almost caused a big fight between dad and mom. It was very surprising and annoying how every of her friends will always have something to do, from one burial ceremony to a birthday party or otherwise, a naming ceremony, housewarming or reunion of old friends. Ah! I remembered when she was listing them for dad that Sunday when she returned.

Dad almost slapped her but for the sake of my little sister and I my dad held himself.

She hardly have our time and since dad can't be home 24/7, he entrusted us into the hands of housemaids. 

It's funny how we kept changing housemaids. Aunty Faith our first housemaid was sent out of the house by daddy because she didn't know how to cook. Her meals were always terrible. Dad got tired of it after my younger sister and I fell sick at the same time. He sent her packing then Mom brought another after three days. 

Aunty Busola was a light skinned lady tall and slim, her beauty was very obvious and she always wears this smiling face but little did we know that the smiles were temporal. We prefer calling her Aunty Ola as it was short. 

Aunty Ola was very good at mathematics and she helped me with my assignments, her meals was always very tasty and good unlike Aunty Faith. There was no falling ill because of bad food.
Dad was thankful. We were all happy. 

It was barely six months after Aunty Ola resumed and she started behaving weird.
She shouts at us at will, she beat us up for doing nothing.
I remembered one Thursday morning after dad has left the house for work mom too wasn't at home, Aunty Ola gave me a broom to sweep the whole house. I was only 4 years old. I haven't finished sweeping two rooms when I got tired. I was in pains. 

Aunty Ola, I can't continue. I said crying... my waist is paining me. 

Ehn! You said what? You've not even started, when I beat you today you'll sweep that floor. Better start sweeping" were her words. She didn't even look at my tears as she continued. 

"So, I'm your servant abi I will cook for you, bathe you, wash your clothes, do other things and I'll still sweep your father's house for you abi?  she kept saying... 

Aunty Ola went inside to get a cane, she flogged me mercilessly, I cried and cried yet she didn't stop, I could feel my skin peeling. I ran and she followed me. She flogged me till she was satisfied. I couldn't even cry again. I could only hear heavy sobs. My body hurts.
She brought warm water to massage my body and told me not to tell my daddy when he comes. I answered her affirmatively to avoid more beatings. 

Meanwhile, this wasn't the first time she was beating me for doing nothing but this time was worse.
I just waited for daddy's return that day.
When he got back, I went to him and started crying he got worried and when he asked I didn't answer, he came close to hold me but I screamed as he touched me I was in pains. My body is paining me was all I could say. Before long he noticed the mark on my neck because Aunty Ola made me wear a long sleeve but thank God she couldn't cover the neck too.

It is Aunty Ola my younger sister shouted. Dad carefully raised my shirt and what he saw left him in shock.

"What is this? Who flogged you? Busola! Busola!! What happened to Yomi? What are all these marks on his body?" My father asked in anger. Aunty Busola couldn't say a word.

Yomi, who did this? I couldn't answer, I just pointed to her. 

Busola what happened? Why this much beating what did he do that you couldn't wait for me to return? No words were coming from Aunty Ola. Dad got angry and gave her as many slaps as he could. She left the house that day.

"I don't know a woman who will leave her home not being cared for and leave her 4 years old son and 2 years old daughter in the hand of a maid." Were dad's words to Mom that evening when she got back. 

It was another quarrel that evening at our house. My Mom was shocked when she saw my body. she couldn't believe it. 
Busola what have I done to you to deserve this? What has this child ever done to you? 

She too gave Aunty Ola the beating of her life before she packed out of the house that evening.

All this was a pain in my childhood that I wish I could get over even now but it still lingers" he shook his head


"My dad didn't want anymore househelps but they had no choice as mommy would not stay back home and leave her shops closed.

Not long after, one of my mom's friends brought her niece to live with us as our new househelp.
She promised mom she's a good girl. "She just returned from Benin Republic and since I'm the only one she has got here and I don't stay home as much, I thought of sending her to you. She's well mannered trust me." Mom's friend had said that afternoon as she brought Aunty Naomi to our house. Okay my dear friend, I trust you. Thank you for helping me. 

Mom showed Aunty Naomi to her room.
"Aunty Naomi was not that educated, she is from Benin Republic and she was just learning to speak English and express herself a bit more in Yoruba but she's fluent in French and one other dialect I can't remember" 
She was indeed well mannered as her aunt had said. We loved her.

"Some years later, mom was celebrating her 40th birthday, then I was already 10 while my sister was 8 years old"

"Everywhere was filled up as all my mom's friends showed up and it seemed like there was more to the party than just a birthday party. My father had invited some church members to grace the occasion too and he suggested that the pastor of our church took the sermon"

"Not knowing that mom already concluded in her mind not to follow dad to that church again, although she hasn't been able to get a good reason to leave until her birthday occasion where the pastor's preaching went from "Psalms 90:12  So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom to 1 John 2:15  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. It was like the words were piercing mom's heart. The pastor continued on and on....

"Mom got pissed off to the extent that he asked the MC to collect the microphone from the pastor"
"It was a very embarrassing and disgraceful moment for the pastor, I could still remember vividly the disappointment written all over the church member's faces"

"The party was over, everyone ate to their satisfaction and I could feel how excited it was for mom to be 40 and the day went according to her plans well except for the pastor's episode" 

"Everyone went back to their houses and we only had a few persons left to assist in arranging things. the young people that my dad has requested to join us too were around to help with washing of dishes and sweeping the compound"

"Our biggest turn around started that same day, mom's birthday was a day of history and mystery at the same time"

What happened? The new inmate that started the question shouted.

Watch out for the next episode.

1 comment:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...