Wednesday 9 December 2020

BUT Episode 18

 Episode 18



Beatrice joined Deborah and Selina at the table, and continued with her story.


"Where did I..." Beatrice was about asking, but was interrupted by Selina.


"Gradually,  things began to change. That was  what you said before you left." Selina said. 


"Thank you for the reminder." Beatrice said as she drew her chair closer to the table, so she could sit comfortably.  


"We started noticing some distance from dad, but at first, we thought the ministerial assignment was becoming overwhelming for him. We were struggling to stay strong and understand him. We tried to support him in every way we could, so as to make his work easier."


"Dad who always came home during the week and go the branch church on weekends, now became someone who came home twice or thrice in a week. There were days he would close from work and still have to drive down to the branch. By the time he is done,  it would have been too  late for him to come home. He would then sleep over and come back the next day."


"Gradually, things got worse. We  would ask dad for little things like shoes, cloths and other gifts he normally got us and  he would get angry.  Our Father suddenly became a stranger to us. It felt like we never knew him. He suddenly changed after he became a pastor."


"At a point, he told my mother bluntly that if she can't take care of the home, she is not a wise woman. My  mother had to stay strong for the family, she didn't allow anything get through her emotional wall."


"When I told him about some fees regarding my external examinations, all he  could say was that my mother is working, that I should go and  meet her to collect anything I want."


"I tried to be considerate and reasonable. Most times I would place my siblings needs above mine. I had to be patient and seek for ways to be of help to my mother. My siblings were bitter and angry at the situation of things, but there was little they could do."


"You know what amazed me the  most about my father's change of behaviour?" Beatrice asked.


"No, you tell us." Deborah said. 


"Dad was not like that to people outside. I mean to neighbours, colleagues and church members. Many times, dad would pay the school fees of children in the church. Members would walk to him in tears, crying for help. Dad wouldn't even think twice before helping them, not minding whether his own family is doing well or not. He always took care of other people over his family."


"My parents had a joint account, but dad used up all the fund in it  to run church matters and also the welfare of people around us, while we struggled to eat balanced meal at home."


"But what came over him? What was the cause?" Selina asked with curiosity.


"My dear, I don't know too,  but it appeared he wanted to showcase a good image and reputation to the public. At a point, mummy began to get tired, the whole situation was telling on her. She attempted to have a calm conversation with my dad, in other to resolve the issues, but my dad wasn't having it. He didn't see any bad in what he was doing. He believes that when you give to others, God will give back to you. Also, like a good shepherd that he is, he must take care of all the sheeps under him." Beatrice said.


"Are you people not the first sheep he is supposed to take care of? Deborah asked angrily. 


"Well, when it seemed like nothing is ever going to change with plenty of talks and negotiations, my mother had to find other means to make sure we don't suffer or stress over the unavailability of our dad"


"Until one afternoon that one of my mom's friend came around to offer help and give  advise. Don't know whether to call it a good advise or not"


"What advise o?" Selina and Deborah chorus as if it has been planned


What advise will she give?

Watch out for the next episode

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...