Friday 11 December 2020

BUT Episode 20

 Episode 20.



"One afternoon, something happened." Beatrice continued with her story. 


"We are with you, continue." Deborah responded. 


"Someone came to call me from the hostel. Firstly,  it was not a  visiting day.  Secondly,  for you to be called  upon by the principal,  then it must be something serious. I was already playing out different possible scenarios in my head. What if something bad had happened to my siblings or a teacher has gone to complain about my poor results, or could it be that someone reported me for a wrong doing? At a point, I began to think that it could be as a result of the argument I had with a senior the previous day, because a senior came to harass me by sending me to fetch water for her and it turned out bad. I was in my angry mode that day because of so many things."


Getting to the principal's office, I stood at the door for few minutes, my heart was beating so fast and I was trying to hide my fear. My knees were shaking and my head ached.  I knocked and the principal asked me to come in. I saw the principal's face but I couldn't see the face of the person sitting opposite her because her back was  facing the door. Since I wasn't expecting anyone coming for me aside my mom, it was hard to guess."


"But who can it be? Tell us na." Selina cuts in.


"When the principal offered me a seat, I was able to see the person's face, and It happened to be aunty Leah." Beatrice said.


"Aunty Leah?" both Deborah and Selina shouted.


"Yes, it was aunty Leah. I was curious as to why she came and what she wanted, since I wasn't expecting any thing from home. Little did I know that I was in for a great shock. She said to me that I will have to stay strong for not only me but my siblings as well, and that she can't go into details, but the summary is that we lost my mom" Beatrice tried to give a faint smile to cover the pain.


"Oh my God, that's sad." Deborah said.


"Wow, I'm really speechless. What happened?, how did it happen?" Selina asked.


"Calm down, I will go into details. After she told me about what had happened, I cried so much that my eyes became very red from too much  crying and my head began to ache. I couldn't tell my siblings,  but  somehow, they suspected when they stopped seeing her on visiting days. Aunty Leah stood in the gap for us. She tried to at least cater for whatever she could."


"But there is something that is missing here oo." Deborah said.


"What's that?" Beatrice asked 


"Where was your dad in this whole picture?" Deborah asked.


"Exactly my thoughts, where? Selina added.


"Well, Daddy continued his neglegence, while mum continued to cover the loopholes. You won't believe that daddy was so angry at mom for sending us to boarding school without his permission or opinion. It went as bad as daddy reporting mum to her mentor and other people, but mom stood her ground and made her reasons clear. So dad concluded that since she wanted to be the head of the family, she should continue with it." 


"Dad stopped caring completely. He stopped coming home to sleep and would rather sleep at the church. Aunty Leah was the one who stayed with mom at home and kept  her company.  A day before aunty Leah came to my school, mom died due to a sickness that she had been nurturing for a while. She wasn't able to get the necessary medical Care, so she tried self diagnoses, based on what she had learnt from her mother, but it could not avail. Dad on the other hand was not even available to know that his wife was sick."


"Mom was kept in the mortuary pending when we would come home for the holidays. In my head, I was already thinking of how our new life would be without our mother, but whatever happens in one's life, God will always leave room for his name to be glorified."


"The Holidays were over and we went home. My dad that didn't care, pulled up a befitting burial for my mom. Seeing my dad act so caring, when he didn't care for my mom in her lifetime made more angry and bitter towards him. People rallied round to making sure we were fine and strong. A lot of people promised heaven and earth that day, but someone's promise was very peculiar, causing  the biggest twist of our lives."


"What promise?" Selina asked.


"And who was it?, what twist?" Deborah added.


"Of course I will tell you" Beatrice said...


What happened?

Find out in the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...