Sunday 20 December 2020

BUT Episode 29

 Episode 29



"I think we still have some time, let's go with  Deborah, in case she needs help." Beatrice suggested.



"Don't let me stress you guys, let me just rush down and I'll update you." Deborah declined.


"Are you sure? You sure we don't need to follow you? Selina added, but Deborah insisted not to bother any of them. We all know that Deborah always love to solve her problems without being a burden to anyone.


"Please I will drop at that junction." Deborah pointed towards a major fueling station along the road  to her house. She alighted from the car and appreciated the gentleman for his kind gestures.


"I will call you soon, take care." Deborah said as she bade them goodbye. 


All through the journey, the young man didn't say much asides "okay" and "alright". It didn't even occur to them to ask for his name.


"I will alight at the campus gate." said Beatrice. 


The weather still seemed a bit cloudy and it's looked like the rain would fall anytime soon. Selina's place is farther, so she will be alighting last. Beatrice alighted and it remained Selina and the young man in the car. Selina who is ever inquisitive, wanted to know the name of the young man and other related information.


"Sorry, you didn't tell us your name the other time and you've been quiet throughout this ride. Selina stated.


"Oh, my bad... my name is Jacob Akande and you?" the young man asked.


"Simply Selina." Selina said.


"It's nice meeting you." he said as he got a hold of a complimentary card in the open space beside the gear and handed it to Selina. 


"Thank you very much, I will be alighting here." Selina said as she managed to pull what she got from market together. The young man drove off.


Deborah made a conference call, In order to update them about what happened.


"The network is not clear,  can you talk a little louder?" Selina requested.


"It's nothing as serious as I thought. The NEPA guys  said we didn't pay electricity bill and they are ready to disconnect our light." Deborah said.


"So that's why you shouted JESUS the other time?" Beatrice asked. 


"I'm surprised too, my mind was over calculating everything before." Selina added.


"I'm sorry that my shout got you all worried. Wait, did anyone ask for the name of the guy that carried us?" Deborah asked.


"Jacob Akande, he told me when I got down and also gave me his card." Selina said.


It was when  Selina mentioned card that Beatrice also  remembered that someone gave her a card too.


They ended the call that day and Beatrice finally found the card in the purse she used for convocation. It took her a while before she found it, because she kept it in the inner part of the purse.


NYSC orientation started and they all got busy, with little or no time to stay in touch with each other. Beatrice in the north, Selina in the west and Deborah in the South, they were miles apart. New friends made, new experiences added and so much  gist to talk about.


From camp till halfway through the service year, they couldn't update each other as always until one afternoon when they all finally had some free time, it was a mix of laughter and crying. A lot happened from camp and halfway the service year. Everything happened so fast that it looked like yesterday when they all departed.


"Hello dears, who is going first this time? Beatrice asked. 


"Me... me" Selina said with all excitement on the phone. 


"Oya, we are listening oo."  Deborah added. 


What happened next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...