Thursday 17 December 2020

BUT Episode 26

 Episode 26



School life has made Beatrice get so used to the alarm that wakes her up at intervals, from 5:30 to 8:30. Different alarms for different activities, but now that school is over, it may take a while to adjust to her new reality.


At 5:30 am, the alarm sounded, waking her abruptly from her sleep. Checking the time and realizing it's still early, she hissed, put off the alarm and repositioned herself to continue her sleep.


Beatrice rarely goes out, she had always been an indoor person. She was either in the classroom, hostel or fellowship. Now that school is over,  she may need to get a personal space or probably relocate to another state entirely. 


A week after the hangout, information began to fly around about NYSC posting.  The National Youth service seemed a good opportunity for Beatrice to change environment and start a new life for herself. 


"Hello, have you checked the NYSC portal?" Selina asked. 


"I haven't checked. Have you checked yours?" Beatrice replied.


"Yes yes. I was posted to Ibadan. Although, dad helped influence my posting so I don't stay too far from home." Selina said  excitedly. 


"Congratulations dear. I will call Deborah and ask her about her posting too." Beatrice said. Just as the call ended, her phone began to ring and coincidentally, it was Deborah calling.  


"Hello Deborah, I was about calling you when your call came in. Where were you posted to?" Beatrice asked.


"I was posted to Delta state. This is the first time I'll be travelling this far oo. A part of me is scared." Deborah said.


"Don't worry, there is no where we can't live in this world as long as God is with us." Beatrice said, encouraging Deborah. 


"I haven't checked mine, but I'm close to the school cafe, I will call you back shortly." Beatrice said as she ended the call. 


The portal was very slow in loading. Firstly, due to bad internet connection and secondly, because there were too many people on the server. A lot of people needed to check their posting so they can prepare in time, especially those who would need to travel a long distance. Also, the time frame between posting and resumption in camp is usually short, so a lot of people wanted to know where they stood early enough. 


"Maybe I will come back and check." Beatrice concluded. Instead of waiting for the school server, she decided to try another Cafe outside the school premises. The IT department of the school has made things very easy, such that everyone can access the school server anywhere. 


Beatrice left the cafe that afternoon and went to eat with the mindset that she would go back to the cafe to check. While she ate, she suddenly remembered that a man handed her his card at the convocation, so she decided to give him a call when she gets home.


On her way back, she met one of her classmates who told her that the network was now running fine and that those on the queue have reduced.  She rushed down to the cafe and took a number. There were only about 4 people before her, which is better compared to the last time that she had 12 people before her.


"Sir, please help me log in, so I can check my posting." Beatrice said.


When she finally saw where she was posted, she didn't know whether to laugh or cry.


"I need to call this guys so they can know where I was posted to." Beatrice said, reaching out for her phone in her Small bag. 


"Hello Selina, guess where I was posted to?" Beatrice said.


"Hold on, let me switch to conference call, Deborah is also calling me." Selina said.


"Hello, so where were you posted." Deborah asked.


Find out in the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...