Friday 3 September 2021

BROKEN MIRROR Ep 3

 Episode 3.



Well, I was born and raised in a christian home.Truly, I can say there is nothing as beautiful as being raised by parents who know and love God. Also, love is the first language in a family. 


I belong to a family where for everything, I mean every bit of thing we need, we must first ask God in prayers. There were days I would ask my father for new shoes and he would tell me that we needed to pray first. When he goes out, he'd  buy the shoe, but won't say he bought it. Rather, he would conclude that God is able to do exceedingly abundantly  above all that we ask or think.


We attend one of the bible believing churches in town. Our parish is the headquarters to many other neighbouring towns and reports from other small and local parishes are always sent to the headquarters. 


Every month, a combined program of every parish under the headquarters is held at our parish,  which gives us the opportunity to know one another.


Oh!  My father is not a pastor,  but functions in many departments in church. He is the assistant head of the ushering, welfare and follow-up department. Also, a senior minister and a member of some clusters.


Outside church, my father works as a Manager in a consulting firm and earns enough to cater for the family. Although my father is a good man and cares for the family, yet i have certain issues with him. One is his anger issues and another is the fact that he likes things done his own way and quickly as possible.


As a child, I had seen him flare up over little issues, vibrating and fuming. Whenever he is trying to contain his anger, a part of his body vibrates. One of the ways he gets over his anger is by making a fist while pacing around from one corner to the other. 


"Can two work together, except they agree?" 


My mom on the other hand is very calm and understanding. She is more reserved, but also vibrant in church, where she sings in the choir and serve in the protocol and decoration unit


She works in an outsourcing agency and sometimes, work requires her to travel for conferences and meetings often. My father already understood her work nature, so doesn't bother her. Also his work takes a whole lot of his time and requires him to be out of town as well.


Speaking of my mum, she is the go-to person everytime for almost anything. At home, she a  teacher and a nurse . She has recipes for treating almost any ailment. She always knows what and what to use in curing any ailment. It's either she's mixing lemon with pap for malaria or adding lime to warm water for sore throat and many other funny, but not so funny treatments. It seems mothers of those days  have a school where they learn all these.


My parents are financially stable, so I attended one of the best and outstanding schools in town.


Money was not a problem, so i didn't lack any basic need. Instead, i was able to afford the  luxuries i wanted. My mother makes sure to get me the best clothes, alongside matching shoes, which made me the envy of other children and made many want to become friends with me. I remember one Christmas when mom travelled and got me a white sneakers that has lighting soles. As I moved around the church compound, you could easily see the red light blinking from the sole of my shoes.


It was all fun while growing up and if there is anything I'm grateful for, it is for the care and true love that I enjoyed in my family. 


Work became overwhelming for my parents and I kept wondering how they were able to combine church work and their business-career life together. The little me saw it as though they were doing so much, but still made out time of their busy schedule to be around me.


Once a month, we go out to amusement parks and other exciting places to unwind. If mom is the one available, she will take me with her for shopping and if it is dad, we go to children fun places. 


It wasn't the years of phone that we can snap and have the memories kept on phone. Nonetheless, some people's business is basically to snap pictures for money and they always come to our rescue. My parents who are lovers of pictures are always willing to pay for photographs without thinking twice. That left us with many pictures in our albums, that if you visit our house, you can spend hours flipping through the pages of photo books and albums.


One afternoon after school, something happened. I think I was just 5 years old at the  time.


What happened?



2 comments:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...