Saturday 4 September 2021

BROKEN MIRROR Ep 4

 Episode 4



Since my parents were always busy and couldn't predict what time they'll get home, my mother instructed the school driver to always take me to our neighbour's house after school. Joseph, Jemima and Jael our neighbour's children, attended same school with me, so the driver would drop us off together, while I wait at their house till my parents got back.


Joseph happens to be the only son and the eldest of the 3. Joseph was 9 years old,  Jemima 7 and  Jael 5 , same age as I. Their parents are also the busy types and believe that the older ones can take care of themselves and the younger ones.


Their parents prepare breakfast and lunch for them before going out and also give them money for snacks in school. School closes at 3pm and by the time the school bus is done dropping the other students at their homes, we get home some minutes to 4pm or 4pm.


I was at my neighbour's house that afternoon and we were all playing outside, chasing ourselves around the compound. I became thirsty and needed to drink water, so I entered the house and checked for water from the jug which was always placed at the middle of their wooden dinning table. I was usually given water from it, but today, there was no water in it.


Our neighbours, though comfortable, are not as rich as we are. Water does not run from the tap in their house, so they fetch water from a tap nearby for all they need water for.


I usually see them fetch water in a 25 litre keg and I assumed that the water in the jug is always taken from there. 


I checked the first 2 kegs and saw that they were empty. I saw a keg that stood  distant from the others, i shook it and discovered that there was some water left in it. It was so little i could bend the keg over and pour the water into the cup.


I noticed the color wasn't as clear as the  water I used to drink in their house, but I was thirsty and there was no one I could ask.


I noticed the smell but I couldn't figure out what it was, so i drank it and went outside to join the others playing.


"Jesus... Jesus" I heard faintly in my head. I was drowsy and  everything became blank. The last thing I remembered was that Joseph was chasing me and Jemima.


Joseph ran across the road to call an elderly woman that sells provision opposite our house, mama Bisi. She ran as fast as she could to rescue me.


She asked them what had happened, but they could only recall that we were all playing outside, but can't understand any part of the play that could have led to fainting. 


I was later told she placed her mouth on my mouth to resuscitate me and smelt kerosene in my mouth then started shouting Jesus. She requested for palm oil and poured some in my mouth. Minutes later, I woke up, but i couldn't comprehend why there were many people surrounding me.


Other neighbours and passers by had gathered round. Some to help  and some to feed their curiosity.


Immediately I saw many people around me, I busted into tears. I could see how unhappy Joseph and Jemima looked. Jael started crying with me and this left everyone confused . 


I was cleaned up and given one of Jael's cloth to wear, because my shirt was already stained with palm oil.  Mama Bisi gave me bread and soft drink from her shop to eat, so i could gain some strength. I was taken inside the house and made to rest on the couch while I wait for my parents.


Shortly after the incident, Joseph's parent came back from work. It's not like they close late at work, but after work, they attend church mid-week programs before coming home, unlike my parents who go about their business Mondays to Fridays and only attend  Saturday and Sunday programs.


They relayed what transpired to their parents who felt very bad for what happened.They decided that they would never put the kerosene keg behind the door with the water kegs again. 


When my parents came back and heard what happened, mom was grateful that it wasn't more serious, while dad was angry that the other family would leave such a dangerous thing where children can access.


As the days went by, my parents continued with their busy life style, while trying to figure how to make a balance between work and home.


I kept asking myself that since my father has enough money that can cater for all of us, why can't mom stop working or work from home? At least that would make me have more time with them, but they are both career driven and not ready to step down. 


A month after the kerosene incidence, they finally concluded on what action to take, but can I say this new decision favoured me?


Well, what's the decision?




1 comment:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...