Tuesday 7 September 2021

BROKEN MIRROR Ep 7

 Episode 7


"Good morning madam." 


"Good morning, how may I be of help?" My mother asked. I stood behind the door to witness what would happen.


The man dipped his hand into a cross bag round his shoulder and brought out some envelopes. He skimmed the envelopes one after the other to check for the one with our house address.


"This house is 25A I believe. There is a letter for you." That was when I realised that the man is a post man.


My mother thanked him as he handed over the letter and left. My mother saw from the cover of the letter that the letter was written by her younger sister Labisi about 3 months ago.


She asked me and Bukola to go into our rooms that she needed to discuss with my dad. I didn't know how serious the matter was.  


The day ended quickly and it was Sunday. On our way from church, dad started a conversation about the letter and that was when I knew what the letter was about.


"Your sister will be joining us next month." My father said.The letter was requesting that my parents help take in Busayo, the younger sister to Bukola to live with us.


I was really excited that we will have more people around and I will have the option of whom to play with.  


Everyday of the week, I counted down to when Busayo would join us. We were all at home seated in the sitting room when we heard a knock on the door. As much as I have longed for Busayo to come, I was still surprised, but happy when I finally got to meet her.


Bukola was very excited to see her sister and mother. Busayo couldn't travel alone, so aunty Labisi their mother had to follow her. They came in on a Saturday and aunty Labisi went back on Sunday morning to cater for the family she left behind. 


The house was gradually getting filled and it was exciting to know that my days of being alone were finally over.


It was that time of the year when Bukola was to write her final secondary school leaving exams, so she had to go for extra lessons. Most times, i was at home with daddy.


Mom's promotion came with some underlining sacrifices. She would sometimes be on journeys for 2 to 3 days. From the head office to other branches for orientation and meetings with stakeholders.


I gradually became fond of others at home as my mom became more unavailable. Glad to have people around, it would have been worse. 


I remember vividly, when I was in Junior class 1, everything changed. I can't say if it was from better to worse, but I know things never became the same thereafter. 


"Please I need more water, my throat is getting dried" I requested from the officer. I never knew he could be so patient to listen to my rants.


The fact that I can't own up to why they met the corpses on the ground is the reason i had to first take him through the whole journey.


He requested they bring me another bottled  water and in no time, they brought it.


"So what happened in your junior class 1?" Officer asked.




1 comment:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...