Tuesday 14 September 2021

BROKEN MIRROR Ep 14

 Episode 14. 



Mom and dad were seated in the living room laughing and discussing different topics. It was really shocking and weird, because I couldn't remember the last time mom stayed at home to have any family chat whatsoever. I stood at the door to be sure it was their voices I was hearing.


I entered the house and greeted them. Mom replied me cheerfully and even asked about my academics. I forcefully returned the smiles, because I was not used to her care. She picked up a nylon beside her and handed it to me. I hurriedly opened it to see what was in it.


"Wow, is this for me?" I kept on saying as I unwrapped the package.


"Yes. It is for you. Your dad and I have been discussing about getting you a phone for sometime now, and here you go." mom said.


"I hope you like it?" dad added as they both laughed.


I had always wanted a phone since I started seeing my friends flaunt theirs. They made it seem like you don't belong if you don't have a phone. Deep down, I wanted more than a phone. I wanted to have my family back; the love and the prayer time, but mom needed to make money and dad wanted to manage his business.


They have told me many times that the reason they run around and do all they do, is to give me the best life and make sure they do even better than their own parents. 


I thanked them and went straight to my room. I had written some of my friends and classmates phone numbers at the back of one of my class note books, so i started saving their numbers. Thankfully, my mom bought me a sim immediately.


Henry wouldn't stop telling me how he and his family are praying for me. When he told me that his family was praying for me, i was angry that they were discussing me in his family.  After all, I only have multiple boyfriends and sex partners; nothing too serious. 


If not because he followed up and I also opened up a bit of my life to him, he wouldn't have known in the first instance.  He apologised for bringing his family into it but he didn't stop telling me that God still loves me and wants to have a relationship with me. 


Another session began. While Henry was in class 3, I was in class 2. I saw this new phase as another opportunity to enjoy and explore to the fullest.


Soon, I started missing school. I would leave home with extra clothes. Whenever my teacher asked me why I missed class, I would come up with different untraceable and unrelated lies that he won't be able to doubt.


My result for the first term dropped terribly, but my parents did not even have the time to check. Once they pay for my school fees, get the books needed for the term, they forget about every other thing. The last time they attended the parent-teachers meeting in my school was when I was in junior class and I can count the number of times all together. 


The second term started, yet my performance in school wasn't improving. I started losing concentration in class and school didn't excite me anymore. I just wanted to hang out with friends and enjoy life.


Aunty Mimi had now lived with us for roughly 4 years and she has gone past being a  stranger to becoming the house owner. She did whatever she wanted as long as my mother was not around or aware of her relationship with my dad. 


When the session ended and I saw my results, i felt sad and angry with myself. It was by sheer luck that i was promoted on trial.


Being in Class 3 meant serious business. Preparations for the senior school leaving examination was in top gear, so there was little to no time for play. All I wanted was to pass my exams and move to the higher institution so i can enjoy maximum freedom. 


Henry still didn't give up on me, even after he had graduated. He always kept in touch and calls to admonish me.


It was that time for the senior school leaving examinations. Everyone started running rat race, trying to make up for wasted years by getting serious over night, but it was about too late. 


My clique already know their ways of bringing in answers. If not that our surname starts with different alphabets, we would have been on same row. Yet, we were able to find a way to communicate answers to ourselves.


Many weeks later, our results was out and I didn't make some of my papers. I felt really bitter and sad that no school would want to admit me  with that kind of result.


"My dear, you will have to retake the exams." my mother said after seeing my result. 


Before the year ended, there was another shift in our family that eventually led me to police custody.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...