Sunday 23 July 2017

PAMILERIN Episode 2

Story by O'nezer

Episode 2

"He will kill me with words tonight." I murmured within.


Every other day "In Jesus name we pray" was the only thing I normally hear because I really don't know how I always end up sleeping off. My younger sister or mum will be the one to tap me and I'll end up screaming "Amen" thinking we were still praying.

But Daddy's faint voice was now scary. I could hear groans like someone in pain but I was just too scared to open my eyes.

A screeching scream from my mum made me open my eyes. My eyes met with Busola and we both gave a scary but confused shrug.
"Mummy what is wrong with Daddy?"

We all asked in unison as we three bent over Daddy not knowing what to do.

Mummy stood up panting heavily around the room. Praying and pleading to dad to have mercy on her
"You can't leave me now. Our youngest child is just 8years old!" she would exclaim.

Busola at the other end was wailing bitterly. My little sister, 'Lerin as I fondly call her was sitting confused yet crying like to follow suit with the ladies.

My body seems glued to the ground where I was partially laying. I felt I was dreaming but a part of me kept telling me it was real.

After a while of panting and crying, Mummy rushed out of the room and Busola followed. I was too weak to stand up so I laid down there.

After a long minute, Mummy finally appeared, rushing in with a neighbor and Busola rushing to meet up with them.

"Daddy Busola! Daddy Busola!!" our neighbor called out.
"No time to cry. Let us rush him to the hospital!" Mr. James said picking Daddy's hand off the floor.

Mummy, Mr. James and Busola carried dad in a hurried way. I have always known Daddy to be strong but the way his body dangled as they rushed him out made me lose it. I couldn't fight back the tears anymore.

Two hours later, Mummy and our neighbor's wife came in. Myself and my sister, Pamilerin had being staring at each other without uttering a word.

Mum came in repeating the words "he is dead. Why me?" this made us rush and cling to her feet on the floor where she had collapsed to cry her heart out.

"Bimbe, it's okay." My Mum's elder sister consoled. She had rushed over to stay with mum as soon as she had the news of dad's death.

The house was full with guest trooping in and out every now and then. We were well known in Church and dad held a high rank in the office, this made it much easier for my dad "Mr. Oluwaseun Adams" death to invite sympathizers.
But all I wanted was for dad to come back.

Daddy's Family was around too. They gave little or no attention to mum who seems like she just dropped a heavy load. They were like; everything about mum is none of their business.

After the family meeting, they agreed to bury dad a week later and the agenda for the burial was divided as a role to each member of Dad's Family.

"Dust for dust and ashes for ashes" though I was just eleven, but I can still remember those words clearly.

After the prayer from our Church Pastor which was filled with cries and wails rather than the usual "Amen" that normally chorused a prayer, one of dad's younger brothers drove us to his home.

What Next?
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...