Sunday 6 September 2020

TANGLED Episode 1

Episode 1.


"Haaa God!" someone shouted. But it was only the echoes of the voice I heard as my eyes were going dim I couldn't see the person.

The last I remembered was my mother having a hot argument with my dad about only God knows what.


It was a festive season and my family always go on annual visit from one family member to a family friend's place or other exciting places. We always look forward to this time of the year and this year wasn't an exception.

My dad had a blue Volkswagen with the name "In God I trust" on the side and our church sticker at the back which always have the yearly watchword written on it.


The journey started. My mother sat next to my father in front as they both wore matching clothes. Well ironed Ghanian ankara with a damask head gear on my mother's head. A slight make up to complement her outfit while daddy on the other hand was having a striped tiger-like native cap on his head with his shining ever glittering necklace. 

Mom had got me this flowery top with a pleated skirt and a wedge sandal. Mom also helped me style my hair into two equal halfs with an Alice band to match my outfit. 


"You are the selfish one here, I don't know how unreasonable you can be" my father was saying at the top of his voice. I was wondering what the whole selfishness talk is about but since I couldn't decode, I had to keep watching. 


Let me also add that one of the bounding and interesting thing about my parents is that they had code names they use, more like to everyone they know, there is a  nickname. If you like, sit in their middle and be reading their lips, you won't still know who and what they are talking about.


I love days when everything is peaceful, not like they don't have their issues and arguments but they always find a way to resolve it lowkey that it wouldn't escalate to a bigger one so before they could have this kind they were having that fateful noon, I knew it's something beyond normal.


"I did everything I did for you, I did it just for you but what are you paying me with? You're being ungrateful" my mother said as she was adjusting her gown.

I still couldn't figure out what they were saying. It wasn't like I was too young not to understand anything at all but it's strange how the whole talk was getting hyper and higher yet I couldn't place it to anything I know.


"I heard all you did but I chose to overlook cause I wanted peace to reign but there is a limit to how long I can keep quiet" my father said as he increased the pace in which he was driving.

I wanted to ask them to take it easy but I didn't want them to transfer whatever aggression or pain to me.  I had to keep quiet but I couldn't watch them both shouting at each other not even minding if I was there or not.


"I want to wee-wee (pee)" I shouted.


I didn't do that because I wanted to really ease myself but because I realised that if I am not going to stop their drama, I can as well help divert their attention. Moreso, I didn't want to be a part of it or watch it at all.


I noticed none of them was listening to my shouting behind. I assumed maybe because my voice wasn't loud enough or because their own shouting was louder than mine.


"Mom, Dad, I want to wee-wee" I screamed just to get their attention but No they were less concerned and were engrossed in their argument. Dad called Mom an insulting name and Mom retorted calling Dad names too. It was a terrible moment.


My head was beginning to ache from the shout of 2 adults who isn't ready to listen to each others side of their story. I wish it was something I knew about, I would have just said they are both right.


I didn't know what name my mother called my father last that triggered him using one hand to drive and the other hand to punch her face towards the car door. It was getting so much that dad wasn't paying attention to the roads again. 


The route we were travelling through was a single lane road that can only take a car at each lane simultaneously. If at all anyone has to overtake, it must be clearly confirmed that there is no vehicle coming from the other end.


We were moving toward a bend and you can hardly see the coming vehicle. 

"You can kuku kill me today, kill me, I said kill me" my mom was saying amidst tears and cracked voice tho my dad was trying to be calm already but mom seemed to be either enjoying the punches or just being intentionally provoking my dad.


In a twinkling of an eye, my dad used his elbow to hit my mom on her shoulder, mom took that part of his arm and gave him a strong bite. 

Dad lost concentration, a trailer was coming in front of us and another was trying to overtake. In the process of overtaking, the two trailer were side by side facing us. A Peugeot 504 car from no where just overtook the two trailers that has almost covered the road. The little space left that we were supposed to take for safety was where the Peugeot 504 showed up from.


If dad was concentrating, I know he would have waited for all these overtakers to pass before he will move an inch. That's one of the gentle-man side of my dad when he is behind the wheels.


My dad drifted from the road into the bush at the other side of the road, he was driving right into the forest and it was the mud that saved the car a bit. The airbag came out and that was the first thing that choked my dad while my mother already hit her head severally on the body of the car.


I was using my seatbelt at the back where I was sitting. I didn't know when I hit my arm on the driver's seat severally too and I was flung round the car back seat. I blacked out.


"Haaa God!" was what I later heard with my eyes going dim again. I couldn't figure out where I was neither could I tell if my parents were alive or not. All I knew was I heard a voice. I couldn't even see the person.

"Let's take them to the hospital" someone suggested and the other person interrupted.


"What if they die in the process, don't let us put ourselves in trouble oo" 


"Should we leave them here? Call the ambulance" the first person concluded.


What happened next?

Watch out for the next episode.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...