Tuesday 29 September 2020

TANGLED S2 EP3

Season 2, Episode 3


The knock on the door was persistent, leaving us all to wonder who it could be.

"Who is that oo? My mother asked but she felt too lazy to go and open the door. My uncle decided to help with the door.


"Good day, peace be unto this house" Pastor Alfred said.

I ran towards the door to give him a hug.


"Daddy Pastor" I screamed with all excitement. The children in church are used to calling the pastor "daddy pastor" 


Pastor Alfred was the Regional Pastor of our parish, he was one of the caring people we have ever met. He loves children and he always takes interest in the affairs of the teenagers and young people too.

He comes to church every Sunday with pack of sweets, chewing gums, biscuits and fruits while his wife do come to church with extra food to give those that may likely wait for the second service.


"How are you all doing?" The pastor asked as we offered him a seat. He could see how everyone in the room was looking tired and fagged out.

"We thank God, it hasn't been a smooth ride but through it all, God remains faithful" my dad replied as my mom interrupted. 


"What should we offer you sir?" My mother asked. 

"I am fine actually, I have been at the door knocking for a while now but it was as if there was an intense fight going on in the house" the pastor said.


My uncle already left for the living room since the pastor entered after greeting him. His wife also followed him. So, we (my dad, mom and I) were left with the pastor alone. 


"Yes sir, it was a battle and God saw us through by breaking the covenant" my dad responded.


"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

"Praise be to God who has given us the Victory. My message to those who are waiting on God for the fruit of the womb or anything at all is that, God may come late but he is always on time" my mother said.


"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint" My father added.


"This is indeed a great testimony, God saved you from the accident, gave you another chance to preach about forgiveness, you experienced a practical forgiveness between you and your wife and now breaking the covenant! God is Good" pastor Alfred said and my parents chorused "All the time" that was an affirmation.


"I will love to get to the other members' house before going back home, shall we pray before I take my leave" the pastor said.

"But daddy, you won't now take anything enn? My mother asked but the pastor smiled and thanked my mom for the offer.

The pastor prayed for us and he left.


Finally, we can now rest and get our lives together. My uncle already slept off when I went to check on him in the room while my aunt was doing some kitchen cleaning and dusting.

Mom made us rice and plantain for lunch. Everyone ate and we all went to our rooms to rest.


Our house is a 4 bedroom flat. Despite that mom and dad do sleep in same room, mom still has a room to herself where she kept all her stuff. One funny thing about my mom was that she can keep anything keep-able even the not keep-able things, she still keeps them.


She has some of the books she used in higher institutions in her room and some of the ones she used way back at college too. She will keep as little and not really important things as the manual of a blender and carton of cutleries. Oh my God! Sometimes it can be annoying especially when she asks me to go find one small thing. I'll search and search, scattering almost everywhere before I'll find it because she doesn't know the exact place it is she just knew it is in the room. And after which I'd have to re-arrange again. 


Irrelevant things like shoes that she used years ago that is no longer her size, were still in that room for reasons best known to her.

 Sometimes I just think, what if we don't have our own house or what if our house wasn't as big and spacious as it was. How or where would she have put all these things? 


We normally have Friday vigil in church, it starts at 10pm and ends at 4am, six hours. For those who live close to the church, they can easily go back home after the prayers but for those who live far away and are not mobile, they stay back at church till it's 6am when transport system begins the day's work.


It was few days to Christmas. We decided to attend the Friday vigil for that week we returned from the hospital

My parents, been workers in the church made sure to get to church 30 minutes before the commencement of the program so as to pray and put some certain things in place.


As we approached the church compound that night, we saw people everywhere. Well, it was normal for people to be scattered abroad at that time in church since there was a vigil and almost everyone if not everyone would be present but the reactions, the side-talks, murmurings and gesticulation generally left us wondering. It wasn't just right or normal. What exactly is going on?


"Brother, what's happening?" My mother asked a short dark brother at the church's entrance.


What happened?

Watch out for the next episode.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...