Sunday 20 September 2020

TANGLED Episode 15

Episode 15. 


Our house was the fifth on the street. We got closer and we could see sad faces everywhere some where even crying.


My father was happy to eventually know that he has been angry over what never happened all these years. It dawned on him that what the colleague told him wasn't what exactly happened. The colleague who told my father the story only heard of what should have happened and not what actually happened. 


You could as well read the expression on my aunt and uncle's face listening to the risk my mother took just to secure a place for my dad in the company. They were surprised.


This had happened years back and it made me wonder why my father never addressed it calmly at least to hear mom's side of the story but instead, he allowed the devil to cheat him by using my mother's past of what never even happened. Well, thank God for making it a tool to discipline him.


The devil always crave for loopholes that he can use in coming into every Christian home. He has made many homes a target and that's why many of them are no longer united to fight the roaring lion that is looking for which home to devour.

Many also have been locked up in the web of unforgiveness over offenses that could have been addressed, pardoned and forgotten.


"What's happening here?" My father asked a young guy that was passing by but the guy said he doesn't really know what was going on. Those that were standing were standing, others were sitting some even on the ground, there were murmurings, grumblings, different sections, male, female, old, young. It was indeed a confused and disturbing sight.


We got to our house and my uncle found a close by place to park as our car park was occupied by people too.

"Shall we pray?" My aunt requested.

"We will pray when we get into the house, let's just figure out what is going on out there" my uncle suggested.


We all agreed and stepped out of the car to clear our curiosity. The moment we stepped out of the car, people started shouting and jubilating jumping up.

We were even more confused as all attention were shifted to us.


"We thought you are dead" one fat dark woman shouted with her hands on her head.

"Abi o, we were crying and shouting when we all heard that the family had an accident" another woman interrupted. 


"Ah! No oooo not at all. God spared our lives" my dad answered.

My uncle just stood fixed. I guess we had the same thought which was "Where did they get the death information?" Who knows? I wonder. Well, like the woman said 'we thought..." so, the full street actually gathered for a thought that wasn't confirmed true and real? That was wonderful!


"What of Mr Abbey and Mr Olatade" my mother asked while trying to understand why they weren't present in this gathering. Also, she noticed some persons were standing at Mr Olatade's house and crying. 


"It is Mr Olatade's wife ooo, she was in labour but before they rushed her to the hospital, she gave up the ghost" one of our neighbours said.


"Jesus! Oh my God" my mother shouted. I could relate well with the shout because sometimes we can't tell why something bad happen to good people.


Mr Olatade was a very good man, he has been helpful in many ways and he was part of those that travelled down to where we were been treated at the hospital in another town and stayed with us there.

He was a secondary school teacher at the state government school while the wife was a petty trader. They were very supportive and easy going couple you can never see them in a fight or argument. 


Deep down, I was questioning God why he made that year a very emotional, stressful, psychologically challenging and spiritually shaking one.


We first entered Mr Olatade's house and we saw their little son, who shouldn't be more than 7 years with one of their church members. 

We couldn't stay too long there because of the long journey we just had. We needed to rest too. My mum suggested we come back and check on the family later in the day. Maybe by then Mr Olatade should be back.


As we were about stepping out of the house, Mr Olatade came back and the moment people saw him, they started shouting and crying again. We tried to console him and my father gave him a close hug.

"The Lord will be with you at this trying time my friend" my father said calmly while releasing him from the hug.


"Amen, thank you very much sir and welcome back home. We're glad to have you back. It's only unfortunate that you came back to meet this tragedy" Mr Olatade said.

"It is well my friend. God knows best" My dad comforted.


We haven't even entered our house since we got back. My uncle and aunt were standing outside waiting for when we will be done greeting the Olatade's so we could all go inside together.


Mr Abbey also came around, he was very excited to see us. He had informed the church about our accident and we got greetings from them even while we were at the hospital.

"Welcome back, how do you feel now" Mr Abbey asked and he added "the church has been praying for your safe return. Thank God for answers to prayers"

"All praise to God. Thanks Mr Abbey, I appreciate all your care and concern" my father replied.


It was exciting to be finally back home. At least we will have the sleep we have missed and also pray the style we love in our own house without minding what anyone else has to say.

Our area is an estate where many of the houses looked alike and only a few people could afford to build a fence at that time. It was so easy to turn out from our backyard and enter into another person's compound.


After all the welcome pleasantries, we were set to go inside. My father opened the door and he was the first person to enter the sitting room. My mom followed behind him then uncle Jude went in next. I was behind my uncle and my aunt came in last.


The moment we stepped in, what we found left us frightened. I was very scared. I may not be able to tell about my parents. They may not have been as scared as I was because they were older. But from all expressions we were all scared only that mine must have been worse.


"Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!" My mother kept shouting.

The name of Jesus was never far from my mother's mouth. 


What happened next?


The journey just began.

Watch out for SEASON 2!


1 comment:

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...