Monday 7 September 2020

TANGLED Episode 2

Story by O'nezer

Episode 2.


"Wave at that space bus coming, maybe he is not seeing me" the not too young light-skinned man said. He has initially refused to help but gave it a second thought of helping. 

All the vehicle they've been waving at were not stopping or waiting and it seemed like all hope was lost.


I became quite conscious but the shock couldn't let me process everything going on in that environment.


"What's going on here? What's happening?" Another man showed up from nowhere and with the assumption that he was coming out to help but to our uttermost surprise he was around for something else entirely.

My dad was still breathing but not moving at all and my mom was also breathing but not conscious.


"This is my father's farmland and how can they drive into this place leaving the road" this and more were the words coming out of this young man's mouth. How insensitive!

"Farmland? In all that has happened here?" someone from the crowd replied and accompanied her words with a loud hiss.

"Better be thanking God that you don't have dead bodies on your farmland. If they can get help, they will still make it" another man said.


I started coughing and this shifted their attention to me. I was trying to catch my breath too but it was getting difficult. It was when someone came around to carry me that I realised I've had a dislocation in my left arm. It hurts badly and I couldn't lift it.


The first set of men that came to our rescue eventually found a bus and they had to forcefully open the door of our car.

The moment they carried my dad, he started gasping and I had no idea what that may lead to. He was quickly pressed down to see if they can get it under control.


"If this man should die here, you will all be in trouble" someone else replied as they tried opening the door at the side where my mom was seated.


"They are going to pay for damages, they can't just go like that. See all our crops..." the farm guy started shouting but little or no attention was paid to him as everybody was after saving a life over saving a crop.

We spent more than 2 hours between the accident time and the time we were able to get help.


We were rushed down to one of the local hospitals in the town and it took even longer time to secure a bed as the hospital do not have space for very many people.


At the end of the day, one of the guys that rushed us down to the hospital used his influence to get my parents in the special ward while they took me to the children's ward.

My head started to ache badly and I was feeling so exhausted. 

That time, phone wasn't everywhere like it is now. It was only dad that could afford the only phone we were using at that time and it was more like a sacred thing that no one else could touch unless instructed. 


In the process of people helping us, the phone had been stolen and there was no way anyone could reach us. We too couldn't reach out to those that we said goodbye to or to those we were travelling to meet.


A nurse showed up later and started treating me. I couldn't get over the flash of the accident in my head. The more I tried to close my eyes, the more the accident scene kept rushing in and I jumped out of the bed. The nurse had to give me a sedative drug and I was able to sleep.


Should I say luck? Or better still let me say Grace. Grace helped me that It was just a dislocation which a little massage and turning will set the hand back not like it was broken that I may be needing some sort of POP or something to hold my hands up.


"How are you feeling now" the nurse asked after touching my forehead.

I was hungry already but I couldn't even ask for food. I wasn't totally sure that even if they offer me my favourite food which is jollof rice, I would be able to eat it.


One of the ways my parents do know how serious my sickness was is when they offer me my favourite food; If I can still manage to eat even if small, they'll know it isn't very serious but if I couldn't eat or I rejected it, then they'll know I'm seriously sick.


"Please, what about my father and mother" I managed to ask the nurse rather than answering her own question of how I'm feeling. 

I didn't think how I'm feeling at that moment matters as much as hearing that my parents are alive.

I am not sure how my life is going to be like or how things will turn out for me if i loose my parents at that moment. I have my fears whether they will make it out alive or not.


News had gone round that there was an accident along that particular route that we followed. From the description given about our car and the plate number on it, those at home had a hint that something had gone wrong. 


It has been 7 hours since the accident happened and by calculation, we are supposed to have gotten to where we were going like 4 hours ago.


Those we left at home(neighbours) had put a call across to our family(the one we were visiting) and now both our family members and our neighbours that called are now at the hospital. 


I could hear voices at the reception. Some people were insisting that they should let them in and let them see my dad and mom to at least confirm the news and be assured that they are still alive. 

Immediately, I knew it was my Uncle and those he came with.


"Come with me to my office and let's talk" the doctor said calmly.


The doctor's office was directly opposite the children's ward.

That's how small the hospital was. You can hear anything being said anywhere unless if they talk in whispers.


I was praying silently that we all make it alive. Just imagine what anger has caused us?


What happened next?

Watch out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...