Tuesday 8 September 2020

TANGLED Episode 3

Episode 3.


"You can talk to me Doctor, I am Jude, the immediate younger brother of the man that was rushed here with his family" my uncle said.

Uncle Jude as I fondly call him was one of the fun-to-be-with kind of person. He and my dad are the only children of their parents or better still, two surviving children of their parents. 


"Well, Mr Jude, as you know, ours is to treat and we are trying in that but it's God that does the healing. We tried our best but..." 

"But what Doctor?" Uncle Jude wasn't going to have that at all. He doesn't want to hear any 'but' that the doctor was going to say.


Naturally, Uncle Jude has this deep baritone voice that when you seat on same chair with him, you could feel the vibration of his voice on the chair.

"But first, you have to calm down and try not to raise your voice as we have some patient that are just getting to sleep and this hospital as you know is small and everyone could hear your voice when you shout" Doctor tried to pacify my uncle.


"Okay sorry doctor, I just want to know...I... I want to know" Uncle Jude stammered


Silently, I was praying that God should not let us hear any bad news. I was beginning to remind God of his promises that he gave us at the beginning of the year. 


"You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance.”

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”


God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, Though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.”


"The man has some internal injuries which was as a result of severally hitting his head on the body of the car; he could have been saved if he was brought in earlier. I'm sorry it's too late. We tried our best but we lost him" the doctor tried to relay the information in a way that it won't hurt but there isn't any better way to make it less hurtful.


"Ah brother mi, eh God" I could feel the pain in my uncle's voice as he was trying to control his voice as the doctor has earlier cautioned.

"How about the wife?" Uncle Jude asked the doctor in low tones.

Tears were flowing effortlessly down my cheeks. I wish God can just look down and give us a miracle. I don't want to loose my father and still I haven't known the fate of my mother.

"How about his wife doctor?" The doctor has hesitated initially


"Well, as for the woman, there are no internal injuries, she has a little scratch on her body. But, she lost consciousness. It's being controlled anyways she will need rest from the traumatic experience" the doctor concluded. 


I didn't know which of the news was making me cry the most but I knew I was going through pain both physically, emotionally and even spiritually if there is anything of such.


My uncle walked down to the lobby and joined the neighbour and his wife there. He broke the news to them and I could hear how they were shouting and crying. 


That night, I knew things won't be the same again. A lot will change and I knew quite well that this was the beginning of a journey that can't be predicted. 


They all came into the ward where I was, they saw I was crying on the bed but they weren't sure if I heard all the conversation outside or if my cry was from the pain in my hand. 

The doctor later called them into the ward where my mother was and before they could say anything, my uncle's wife broke down in tears again.


"Where is my husband? What about my daughter? My mother kept asking but it's like no one was ready to start the conversation yet. When my mother couldn't bear the cry amidst silence again, she shouted and my uncle, left with no option calmed her down and eventually explained all what the doctor had said.


"We lost him but your daughter is in the children's ward" my uncle said.

"Lost who? My husband? Noooo" she screamed and passed out immediately. 


"Doctor, Nurse, who's there?" My uncle's wife that was crying before didn't know when the tears dried off her eyes seeing how my mother has passed out.


My mother that just regained consciousness and we were happy is now on a full time coma hearing of my dad's death. 


My uncle rushed out to get the doctor. The doctor brought out his stethoscope to examine her.


The doctor sighed and went silent for a minute.

"I'm afraid, but you may have to excuse us now" the doctor said.


I was crying and praying on the bed. I was trying to imagine what my life will be like after loosing both parents in a night. I didn't know where to start from, I've always enjoyed the comfort of our lives and I was that child that does what I love at any time that I want.

I'm thinking all that will soon change.


Will my mother die? Will I go and live in the village with my grandma? Will any of my uncle or aunt adopt me?

All these thoughts were running through my mind. I didn't know when I shouted 'God forbid' and used all the strength left in me to get out of my bed and walked down to the ward opposite mine where my mother was laid.


"Doctor, talk to us? What's going on" my uncle questioned.


What happened next?

Watch out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...