Tuesday 31 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Eighteen

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 18

"If you insist, I'll tell you and that is because we're going back tomorrow. But promise me one thing?" he looked into my eyes.

"Anything, I'll do it" I couldn't get myself to stop looking into his wife eyes.

"Be calm!" he encouraged.

"I'll be calm" I feigned a smile within the tube.

"You see, that day Samson shot me, I passed out immediately and you remember the gun was at a close range?"

"Yes," I affirmed.
I shifted my attention from his wife to listen attentively to John.

It was a narrow escape and the bullet didn't hurt any organ beyond repair in my body. It hit a part of my stomach, but since the police arrived there on time, I was rushed to the hospital immediately. First aid was given and I had to be operated on. The surgery was successful and for 6months, I was in the hospital" he explained.

"Wow!" was all I could say.

"I had to spill a year, but I'm through and I'm working in Calabar in the government house and God blessed me with this queen who is the mother of my kids and someone I adore so much" John continued pointing to his wife who had been standing behind him for a while.

"What's her...?"

"They were caught!" John cut in with my words.

"Who were caught?" I asked.

"everyone of your gang back then. One Hardy implicated them, and they were arrested. I heard most of them are in Correctional homes though, but they are proving stubborn" John gave the full details and I heaved deeply.

"I remember when those guys came to our lodge back then" John's wife spoke in a whisper, but loud enough for us to hear.

I could recall that voice well. That voice that pleaded with me not to do what I was about to do. It sent chills down my spine back then and it was doing just that again. I could fight to stay alive and might even kill John again if it were possible.

"If I should see any of those guys, I'll skin him alive" now I knew she wasn't whispering, but that was her real voice and her last words snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Shhhsss..." John stood before her and locked his lips in hers.

He lifted her face and used his fingers to dry the tears. I could see the scar he showed me back then and I knew this is John for sure.

"Karen, let's leave the past where it belongs; behind us" John consoled his wife.

I need no one to tell me that my past was here visiting beside my death bed and it might just send me away early. Karen, my beautiful Karen. The only one I have been able to love.

"We have a pretty daughter through that and she has been a blessing to the family. So great a blessing" John continued.

"You have a daughter through that incident?" I asked feeling uncomfortable.

"Don't worry bro, she is my daughter and I love her so much" John turned to me as they asked to take their leave.

I had heard enough, and it was okay they leave. The doctor had warned I avoid anything that would make me worried, here I was feeling nervous. I now wanted to be fine than dead, so I obeyed everything the doctor told me.

John and his wife came around at least twice a week and I desperately wanted them to come around with their daughter, my daughter or that girl I saw with them, but they always came alone. Hospital environment isn't a place to bring children to often, I know, but I just wanted to see my replica.

A month later and I was fit to go home, but I must be in the hospital every two weeks for checkup, that was okay for me. I had plans to execute and I had a daughter to meet.

I got John's address from him when he came visiting in my apartment and I promise to return the visit the following Sunday.

"What if I kidnap the girl and run away?"
"Or I kidnap Karen and the girl and take them outside Nigeria?"
Different thoughts filled my heart. Despite the huge hospital bills, I still had enough money to sustain this plan if I was interested in executing it, but it made no sense.

Sunday was here, and I waited till afternoon before heading to John's house fifteen minutes’ drive away. I got there and met the lovely family playing in the open yard with themselves. A tear drop as I pressed my car horn to alert the gateman.

John was excited to see me, and I felt same with Karen. Their daughter, most likely my daughter, she had these eyes like my sister and a smile like my mother. I could only pray my secret won't be made known that faithful day.

We went into the house. A marble wall, well-furnished living room with white leather chairs. I had a meal with the family and we saw a Nigerian movie together. All the while my eyes on their daughter whom I now know as Boluwatife.

"The circumstances surrounding her birth brought up that name I guess?" I asked myself.

"I have something to tell the family" I said after the movie.

"Okay" John gave me a go ahead.

"promise me you won't take it personal" I looked into both eyes.

"We promise" they answered simultaneously with a smile.

"Karen was a girl after my heart in our first year in school." I explained how I saw her and how pretty she had always been, plus her friend not giving me more than her name and her course.

Karen smiled and blushed while John winked and coughed.

"So that day when we came to your lodge with Hardy, I was scared some other guys will have you and treat you harshly, that was why I picked you that day and it was really an awesome thing that it was my first time too" I said with a grin and my heads bowed.

"Do you know what it cost me?"
Karen was already biting and beating me with all the strength she had.

"I got pregnant amidst complications and I had to stay away from school, from my dream course forever" she hit further.

John didn't say a word, he simply picked the kids and carried them to his room.

"I told you, you will meet the fellow someday" John's voice back in the living room seem to make Karen calm, but I was in pain.

I groaned and collapsed to the floor where I was sitting.

"Bring the car key honey!" John rushed to me.

"Over my dead body!" Karen snapped breathing heavily amidst tears.

"Don't be so callous! Get me the keys, he's bleeding" John screamed and Karen ran off and back with the keys almost immediately.

I was bleeding from my nose and mouth and it was quite much.

"Stay at home with the kids" John sent Karen back from following us to the hospital.

I was received into the ER with an oxygen tube.

What next?
Watch out for what next
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...