Monday 30 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Fifteen

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 15

The morning sun shone so bright the next morning and the ray of it into my eyes forced each lid open.
"Where am I?" I cleared perspiration off my eyes and looked around.

I remember running so much during the night that I felt I would pass out. On sighting this building with the deem moon ray upon the earth, I walked into a room and sat there to rest. My rest turned to a sleep.

"So John is dead?" I bit on my thumb nail as I recalled the previous night ordeal.

I stretched my aching back and pulled my sandals off my feet. I still couldn't believe I shot Samson too. I stared at my hands and I began to cry. I cried so much that my stomach ached and tears failed to flow at a point.

I was weak, tired and hungry. I wasn't sure where I was or what I was going to do now. Only my jean, my shirt, my ATM and my phone.
"My phone!" I repeated.
"I have to turn it off" I searched through my pocket and placed it on flight mode.

Pulling myself off the ground, I dusted every dirt on my body and looked out the window of my roofless abode. I was in a village, but I wasn't sure how far or how near I was to the school.

I found my way out of the house and after ten minutes’ walk, I could hear voices of children and some adults. I checked my pocket and I found a five hundred naira rumbled note. A smile plastered all over my face.

I walked further, and I could see houses, mostly thatched roof. They were speaking their dialect and I knew that would be a barrier and another challenge.

Everyone stared at me as I staggered like a drunkard. Some even said some things to each other and shook their head, but I couldn't hear a word of what they said. I soon saw a young boy of about 13years old. I wonder why he wasn't in school, but that wasn't my worry. I stomach begged for food at each step.

"Good morning boy" I greeted waving him to stop.

"Good morning" a teenage hoarse voice replied.

"Someone understands English" I muttered.

"I want to buy food, where can I get a good restaurant?" I asked.

"Not far from here. I can see you're a stranger here, follow me" he beckoned.

I would have run if he asked me to. Food was my greatest concern now.

"Is the place neat?" I asked maybe to strike a conversation or to just say something, I wasn't sure why I asked.

"It is the best around here" he affirmed.

We got to the restaurant and like every other roof in the town or village so to say, the restaurant was thatched roofed to. It had plastic chairs and plastic tables here and there. I was surprised at the sight and I sat comfortable at a corner pleading with the boy to wait and eat something. I had my ATM in case I couldn't pay in full.

I ordered fufu and egusi soup. He placed the same order too with meat. The soup was delicious and satisfying and I was surprised again that all we ate was only 450#

"One more thing please," I pleaded with the boy who was all ready to follow me to the ends of the earth.

"You will take me to the ATM machine and you will also take me to your motor park"

"The ATM machine is very far from here. It's like heading for the neighboring town" he explained not quite coherent this time and from his accent, I guess I was in a TIV settlement.

We had to walk for a distance before we got a bike that was almost 30minutes to the ATM boot. I was praying I won't end up going back to where I was coming from.

I withdrew enough money to sustain me. Paid the bike man and gave the boy five thousand naira. He couldn't stop thanking me as he boarded the same bike back after giving me description to get to the motor park.

I was watchful. I felt Sharp will send the guys after me. I had to watch my back with all caution and when I got to the park as described, I realized I was in Kebbi State. How I got there from Niger state was a surprise.

It was late in the afternoon already and most buses were filled. Here I was eyeing a bus heading for the south-south region. Calabar was my target and I boarded the bus, a night bus.

What next?
Watch out for the next episode
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...