Monday 23 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Six

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 6

John was the brave one among us. Out spoken, broad chested, well-trimmed beard that gave his age away and a hoarse voice that made him sound mature than us all. John has an idea of almost anything and he was always five steps ahead of us with any information; even information that were related to our education.

John was a boy adopted by his aunt at an early age. John's aunt, a mother of two kids who were way older than John lived in the ghetto area of the town, but even with the rough life that greeted everyone with the lout life, John's aunt still thought it wise to maltreat John.

He had started smoking cigarettes way back before I even made it to the Government Secondary School and he knew every nook and cranny of the town because any safe abode was his sleeping mat since he ran away from his aunt place. We were never sure his aunt searched for him, all we knew was that, John was the smartest among us and he was always after getting more money. Unknown to us, he had been living alone for four years and had responsibilities to shoulder all by himself.

We had a special regard for him and he was such a breath-taking leader all through our operations which if numbered should be a ten in just a year. We were all awaiting admission and those who were living with their parents had Samuel's house as an excuse to go read, but some nights, we were outside the town entirely.

Our school leaving certificate was out and yes, despite our perverseness, we were all sound academically. We had good grades and our options of choice of University were the same, only different courses. Luckily enough, our names made it to the admission list and we had to hibernate for a long while because there were no lies of exams to read for anymore.

We all resumed into School on different days. I guess our parents, though they knew us all, but they were less interested in us resuming on the same day.

I knew my way around the school to a fault, but daddy who happened to be my Chauffeur for that day wasn't having any of my options.

"Daddy, you know I came here for my post UTME already now" I tried to caution at a point when I felt frustrated.

"Don't worry," Daddy said
"I am still older than you and I once resumed a tertiary institution like you before" daddy continued as he showed me how to comport myself with obvious description and there were many students passing by.

"You see my son" now I wanted daddy to shut up and get going.

"I'm your father and this was how I helped your sister and your brother when they resumed too. You and Tobi won't be an exception as far as I am alive" at those words, I had to accept my fate as I watched daddy running around and helping me with what I should have done on my own.

Even down to my accommodation, my dad sought it out and the moment when he said 'goodbye', I became so emotional and our parting hug at the entrance to my room lasted for more than five minutes.

"Finally!" I heaved a deep sigh as I collapsed into the family size bed daddy had gotten for me.

The next morning woke me up to the reality of my new life. I had always had someone cook for me and even my days at Holy Child Secondary School, I woke up to a meal. Now I must set the stove and make a meal or better still, go out there and get some food, but I still felt stressed out and I resorted to the former.

Flipping out my mobile phone, new and still unique to me as I consumed my meal, I put a call through to Samuel to ask when he would be resuming, and I felt relieved I won't be starting from the next day alone.

I stared at the phone in my hands, I started to remember all the advice daddy and mommy had given me before handing the Android phone to me.

"Don't use it for anything that would bring shame on you" mommy warned her motherly caution.

"You are a child of God and you shouldn't use this to get involved in anything negative" daddy completed.

My friends had been using an Android phone and all there was to me was a small phone that could only make calls and send messages. I was too used to this device than their seeming caution. I smiled as I recall all that had happened, and I flipped the phone to the bed to empty my bag.

Daddy had paid some fees and he gave me the balance of others he couldn't do. Money was already transferred to my account and everything was in place, but here with me is a sum of seven hundred thousand.

"It's a working day, so Bode, freshen up and let's head to the bank" I danced as I picked my towel heading to the bathroom.

It was a room self-contain my dad got for me, and bathroom and kitchen were going to be all alone to myself. Each room of the long building had its own facilities.

I made for the bank and I could see the staff attending to me staring into my eyes like I was a criminal or something I wasn't sure of.

"Where did you get this money?" she asked in her serene voice that complimented her look.

"I got it from home because I need it in school" my brow furrowed.

She did the needful and I was at least at peace that I didn't have to keep that much with me again and most especially, my parents never knew anything about it. All thanks to Samuel.

The next evening welcomed three other friends including Samuel to school and for them, their parents dropped them off without spending much time with them and one of the three came in a commercial bus.

We were eagerly waiting for John, whose number was and had been out of reach.

What next?
Watch out for the next episodes
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...