Friday 27 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Ten

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 10

"Say after me" Sharp beckoned as we stood in between some hefty guys.

We had submitted our forms the next day after John's arrival. Sharp's had tutored us and asked us to be brave. We were taken to a bush where some women were stacked to a stalk and we were asked to shoot. Sharp's and one other guy accompanying us.

We never saw this coming and we never imagined us killing anyone, but Sharp's kept ringing the words "no turning back" to us.

"At the count of ACTION you shoot" Sharp roared into the dark night.

The gun given to me felt like ice. I imagined myself turning around and shooting Sharp just to escape from this moment, but I couldn't even bring myself to believe I could do such.

My heart beat was now in my mouth as I imagined one of those women could be my mother or my sister.

"Now shoot!"

The voice seem to click a clock on each of us as we fired almost immediately after the command. That was what Sharp told us
"If you don't fire immediately, you will be fired and your dead body will rot here"

I guess we thought about this and fired as many shots as possible even as we fell to the ground.

Sharp and the other guy burst into a fit of laughter as they mocked us to scorn. We were crying and they were laughing, we cared less not until they calmed down and called us to the stake

"Dolls!" we all exclaimed and they took to another round of laughter.

Now we were led to another house different from Sharp house, well furnished and having the air of affluence as stench of cigarettes and marijuana filled the air.

We were led to a room aside and here we were welcomed by ten other guys of different heights. We matched into a circle and had our clothes off as someone brought out a hot knife and pierced it into our hips. We groaned and some cried.

"This is to make you stronger, to make you a man!" Sharp who had now changed into the clothes the other ten guys wore exclaimed at each piercing.

I wished all this was over soon or we could change the whole schedule, but here I was, feeling hurt from my hips.

We were led into the living room after the oaths and some incantations, there a glass of wine was poured for each of us.

It was such a night and despite the smiles at the cheers we made, all I wanted to do was to go home, go to my parents and never come back to school.

"What if it was a real human I shot?" I snapped my fingers in my imagination.

"Now, each one of us will introduce ourselves to you the new members" Sharp stood up from his seat and made the first introduction and the other ten guys hailed him.

They all stood up to introduce themselves with cheers and laughter from others and it was getting interesting to me.

"I am Cancer, but my certificate will read 'Samson Ezenwa' so you can just call me Cancer" he was the ninth person to introduce himself and something about that name made me look closer into his eyes.

It had been many years since we left primary school and I couldn't decipher if it was the same Samson who was my friend or not.

Their introduction was soon over and it was our turn to introduce ourselves to them. I was the leader of my friends and I had to come first. I introduced myself just as my name 'Olabode Joshua' and no nickname attached.

"Bode Joshua?" Cancer who had earlier introduced himself came up to me.

I thought he was greeting me or so, but I realized there was more to it.

"I know you!" he exclaimed, and the rest of the room looked on in surprise.

"Holy Child School, you remember your friend and your bunk mate?" he held on to my hand.

"Yes!" I screamed.

"I wasn't sure you were the one that's why I kept my mute" I continued as I looked him up properly.

"Mheeennn! We are now men and not small boys anymore" Cancer who I had known as Samson complimented.

"I never saw you again after that time, but I always remember how you were so kind to me among the rest"

"Oh... You still remember all that?" I quizzed looking into his eyes.

"How can I ever forget the guy that saved me from being expelled?" he now loosed his firm grip off my hands.

"I'm sorry," he continued.
"You see those things found in your bag, I put them there and only came to take them when I needed them. You were not so used to opening your box and I knew you would never see it there, but I never knew there would be a search that will implicate you" Samson completed looking all sorry.

I had my fist clenched and I would have hit him on the face, but the fear of others made me keep my calm.

"What a show to compliment the night" Sharp laughed and the rest gave a humorous grin.

I couldn't get my gaze off all through the night and he kept looking at me from his seat too. I couldn't even think of forgiveness at that moment and I wasn't sure I would forgive.

My heart kept pounding fast as we left for our different homes that night. I wish I knew what to do, but I couldn't think of anything. Just anger and revenge as I thought about the day experience and opened my hips wide enough to allow air cool off the stinging pain I was feeling.

What next?
Watch out for the next episode
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...