Saturday 21 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Four

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 4
My first day at State Government Secondary School sent chills down my spine.
"Is this a school or what?" that was the first thought that crosses my mind as I stepped out of daddy's car.

Daddy had brought me my school uniform and some notebooks the Friday before. That Monday morning meant so much to me as I would have people to relate with. From the form I filled, I know it wasn't a boarding school.

"Daddy, is this the school?" I asked as I walked closely beside my dad towards the Principal office.

The School was a large compound school with about 35classroom estimate. It had a wide field and a pitch for volleyball. The School walls looked old as the paint was gradually fading away. It looks like a structure that had been up for let's say 20years...

"Write your name and signature here" the Principal, a lanky young man with the air of thirties beckoned to me and that brought me out of my observation and I gently searched through my back pack for my pen as I bent over the file filled table of his to write as instructed.

Sadly enough, I had to start all over again from Jss1 and this fueled up my anger.

I was pissed off by the silent treatment at home and only the consolation of Tobi my younger brother defiling all odds, else I would have gone nuts, but I decided to go nuts now. That was what they wanted.

I now had to walk 30minutes walk home every day. My brothers were in private schools, Primary 6 and Ss3 respectively. And the school bus conveyed them home every day.

Daddy was now less mean, and Mummy was her caring self, but it all felt strange.
"Why are they doing this now?" I questioned myself.

I got aligned to the School system during the second term. I had friends and I had those I disliked. It was a wonderful time as we could sneak out of the school compound which had no reasonable fence and no security guard. We went into town with our uniforms in our back pack while we help market women with their luggage and earned some money from it. For me, it was an extra pay to my lunch money from home.

I really didn't have any problem coming up with good grades. I was naturally brilliant, and I was not repeating same class. Daddy seem proud of me and Mummy was happy with the grades and how gentle and composed I was at home. Sometimes I even woke the family up for devotion, I always looked forward to going to school every day and weekends were sad moment for me.

It's been 3years and I knew my parents would have it in plan to return me to a good school, but oh no, I wasn't ready for that and I feared the new transferred Principal who seem strict than strict itself, but we wouldn't let him deter us and we used the lunch break period for our rendezvous plan.

Unfortunately, we were caught one day when we were haggling the price of a conveyed luggage with a Teacher and this was unknown to us until we got to school the next day to meet our suspension letter.

"How do I present this at home?" my thoughts as I walked home from school half way through School hours.

Daddy was disappointed as expected and Mummy wasn't left aside.
'Why I choose to be the black sheep of the family was unknown to anyone and it was not known to me myself'

I completed my Junior Secondary School in the Government school, but the holiday was spree of deliverance sessions and many fasting and prayers before I resumed into Tobi's School. Tobi was now in Jss3 and I was resuming into Ss1. My elder brother was in a tertiary institution and big sister was working with a pension funds firm.

This new school opened me more opportunities of going out of school immediately after school and I initiated other Students from the school to this. I met with my former classmates and we continued from there.

Mid-way into Ss2, I already learned to smoke, and I had a girlfriend too. Tobi would have told on me, but I bought his words with enough money at intervals.

I graduated against all odds so to speak and my parents were proud of me.
"God bless the day I had Bode!" Mummy held her stomach as she rained praises on me as daddy drove us home making boast of how I took after his intelligence.

"Tobi," Daddy called out.

"You see how much gifts your brother got today?"
Tobi nodded the affirmative.

"I want you to imitate that and possibly do more and better" Daddy encouraged Tobi who I silently prayed won't imitate me.

I now had the little freedom I always wanted and now I could step out of the house without much questions. I just had to name a reasonable place I was heading to and mom who was always at home would give me the go ahead.

It started with myself and my clique from secondary school stealing goods from shops and picking pockets. We were smart and being caught was the last thing that will come true.

What next?
Watch out for the next episode.
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...