Wednesday 18 July 2018

Boomerang Episode One

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 1

    My name is Bode Joshua, the third child of 4 siblings and the second son with a younger brother and a beautiful elder sister, who happens to be the first fruit; I mean the blessing that welcomed the rest of the children to the loving home of Mr Bayo Joshua who is my dad, ever fervent, prayer warrior, a Christian and disciplinarian.

     The mornings start as early as 5:00am everyday in our mansion of six rooms with my mom, the prettiest and composed mother anyone can ever pray to have. Mummy comes into our rooms individually to wake and possibly drag us from our different rooms to the living room for morning prayers which usually last more than the scheduled duration(1hour). Daddy always wants to dig deep, but only Shade our first born seems to be ever interested as the rest of us would sleep off and daddy's spank is the only thing that brings us back to reality.

"You people need Jesus and you need Him now when you’re young” daddy would say in his baritone voice and that constantly warned us that all is not well.

"Now is the time to get rooted and be effective!" daddy will always warn.

    But those warnings were only for Daddy as  the three boys only adhered in his presence to avoid his usual caution. Tobi, my younger brother, the youngest at home seems to be the diligent and obedient one. My elder brother's influence seems to have no impact on him, so we (myself and tolu) let him be and you know, bully him and call him names at times just to taunt him. Family is interesting.

    Having such a background made me feel held back. You know, I was like a tree blossoming, but once in a while, the branches are being chopped off, this kept me under check until I graduated into secondary school.

    My first day at the school was in the company of daddy and mommy in their Siena that drove swiftly across the street as we made our way to another town entirely.

"We would love you to enroll as a boarding student in your Jss 3" Mummy had told me while filling in the form I suddenly received as Daddy drove home from work earlier than normal one day during the holidays.

    I felt it was a good thing, so I felt less bothered if I'll be living far away in a school.
"I'll be free from the pressures at home" my silent thought.
"But I'll sure miss mom's delicacy" I had weighed the thought.

    But as it is, right in the car as Daddy drove across many streets with conversations between himself and Mummy giving life to the car, I was nervous and I wished they had asked me if I was okay to study in a full boarding secondary school for a while, but none of us could object daddy's decision no matter how grievous we feel it is.

"We are there!" daddy's voice echoed in the car bringing me back from my thoughts.

"Wow!" was all I could utter as I looked out the window to a beautiful, well structured Holy Kids Secondary School.

"I promise you", Daddy squat before me as he helped adjust the collar of my favorite outfit which had been my choice for the trip.

"I know you will feel bad leaving your siblings behind and having to start a new phase of your life alone and quite far from us but I want you to know that we are always praying for you and we want the best for you", dad adjusted himself as he now looked straight into my eyes.

"This is one of the best school in Nigeria and I made that decision because of the report I got and I trust them to be faithful to their words" daddy completed giving my petite 10year old body a deep hug and I didn't know when my eyes let down their fluids.

    Mom who had been watching the whole scene between myself and dad at the parking lot of the school joined in the hug and she gave her motherly advice too as we eventually pulled out my travel box from the trunk of the car and made for the school admin building to complete my registration.

    In two hours, I was done with registration and had my ID card and uniform with me and I was led to my hostel and watched as dad and mom took another turn back to the parking lot.

What next?
Watch out for the next episode.
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...