Sunday 22 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Five

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 5

"What if we do something more than this petite business?" John, a mate of mine from the State school whom we had gone out together with other clique, said as he slipped his right hand into his back pack that was now crossed to his chest.

We had been together for our outings at the market from the beginning and we had now formed a trusted clique with those who cared to be one of us.

"What do we have there?" I innocently moved closer to have a view of what made others smile at the sight.

"I'm sorry," I exclaimed

"I cannot be a part of this…" my words met a surprise on the seven other faces that wore a smile some second ago.

"Wetin dey do this one naw?" John hit my shoulder from where he was standing.

I was already up and ready to move away from the broken-down fence we all sat on.

"Where do you think you're going to?" John pulled back my hand and it would have been a great fall except for the leg of Jason who helped me out.

"I don't have the grace to partner with you in this" I tried to say each word one after the other just to make the words sink into them in case I'm being quoted wrong, but they were unyielding.
***
Our first operation as an official thief or let us say armed men was an operation well planned out. I never had to overwork my brain that much even during exams. Every minute left me wondering how I would handle the role given to me without having it flopped.

"What if we get caught?" I asked aloud as I made my way home that evening.
"Daddy will skin me alive" I smiled knowing what will become of me if this fails.

Why we need to rob a house was not much of a wonder. You know, we must live our lives to the fullest. When we get to our tertiary institution, our parents will not be able to punish us, even if they do, we are secured.

The night came for us to visit Mr Oladele, an average looking man who two weeks earlier had been selected as the new local government party chairman of the party he belongs to. We knew he must have been given quite a sum of money and we had started out our plans since then. It was about 12o'clock into the night when we got there. It was a rural area and though they had a security post at the gate entrance, we had no issues as the Security Officer were nowhere to be found.

"You two…" John explained.

"You will be at the gate and in case of any emergency, just whistle and I'll be out" John pointed to myself and Dele, one of us who was just as petite and of a scary look as me.

The house of Mr. Oladele, our victim was a wired fenced 5-bedroom flat, with a large compound. That was all I noticed from the security light streams to illuminate a good percentage of the compound.

The gate of the house was quite broken down and all we had to do was push gently and we were in. Like a flash, John handed each one of us a butcher axe and he himself pulled out a gun from his bag. No one of the seven could ask him where he got the gun from since the day he showed us and none dared to ask, I assume.
Dele and I hid behind the gate as we looked around for signs of anyone approaching with our hearts in our mouths.

John and the other four came out rushing with smiles and a mini traveling bag reveled by the security light beaming at them as they hurried out of the house and we knew better to hurry along behind them.

My mind was a bit at peace, but not until we got to Samuel, the house of one of us whose parents seems to live a nomadic existence and always leaving their only son and child Samuel behind.

I had told my dad I was going there to read, and he had no dispute as our Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) was fast approaching and Samuel had proven to be a well-trained boy to my dad whenever they met at my house for the obvious, reading.

The money was counted, and it was a million naira to my surprise since I had not seen such a huge sum before.

"That is how they will be hoarding our money!" John exclaimed.

"This man said he was only given 5hundred thousand naira two weeks ago at the election o!" John continued as he cursed Mr Oladele and his supporters.

We all were not sure of what he was saying, but we were sure excited with the money before us in Samuel's living room.

The money was calculated and divided equally between us before we went into different rooms of the house to pass the night and if we so wish, we read.

What next?
Watch out for the next episode
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...