Tuesday 31 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Seventeen

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 17

I woke up two days later and the Doctor explained to me that I was in shock and due to my weak lungs, my breathe was cut short and I began to choke.

"It was a great thing they brought you here on time" the doctor explained.

I looked around the hospital room. It must be a private room as I was the only one in the room with medical equipment making different sounds and an oxygen pipe fixed to my nose.

Everything was confusing until I calmed down enough to rehearse everything.

"John was the guy. He looked more mature and well built, but I can give all I have to bet that was John I saw. But he is dead, and that lady looks like someone I..."
"Good afternoon boss" Chidi, my trusted sales boy walked in cutting in with my thoughts.

"I'm glad you finally opened your eyes" he smiled.

"Thank God o" I tried to move, but I was in pain in my chest.

"You scared us o! You just went off like that because of that guy" he explained.

"That guy? Where is he now?" I asked quite nervous to know.

"He followed us here and came around yesterday. He said he would still be here before returning to his base. Though he wishes he could see you before he leaves" Chidi further explained.

"I'm awake now, he should see me when he comes around" I felt calm now.

"Hmm... I don't think so o boss" Chidi wore a sorry look.

"What do you mean?" I was practically confused.

"Your lungs are in bad shape due to much smoking and they would have to carry out a surgery. They would have done that, but they wanted you to be conscious first before they try any surgery on you."

The explanation of my plight seems to bring me back to the reality of the moment. I now understood the cough and chest pain I had been having. I sometimes have epistaxis, but I just wipe it off without telling anyone. Now I'm here in a bad state.

"Hey boss, don't think about it now" Chidi stood from his chair and sat beside me.

"The doctor will soon be here" he encouraged.

The doctor soon came around. This time, I looked into his dark eyes well. He seems to be a gentle man as he was soft spoken and explained every detail and the risk involved if the surgery isn't carried out now.

"Who will sign the documents for the approval of your surgery?" the doctor asked.

Chidi will" I replied.

"Is he family?" the doctor asked

"Yes, he is family" I smiled.

I desperately wanted to see John look alike and I also want to get relived from the pain in my chest. It could be John had a brother no one knew about.

Different thoughts filled my heart as Chidi came in with two nurses pulling a stretcher into the room.

"You are set for sugery" Chidi told me.

I watched as the nursed detached some equipment from my body and helped me up the stretcher.

"If he meets with you, please tell him to wait for me" I told Chidi as the door to the O.R flung open.
***

I think the operation lasted for about 5hours, I wasn't so sure, but that was based on what Chidi told me when I woke from anesthesia the following day.

"Did they come?" I asked still feeling dizzy.

"Yes they did and he promised to be here today"

I was okay with that and even if that would be the last thing I would get to know before I die, it was okay for me.

The effect of anesthesia soon faded out. I was now under thorough observation with different gadgets fixed to my body. Chidi had gone home to rest, so I was alone listening to the beeping sound from the machine beside me.

The door flung open in the afternoon and that elegant, dark and well-built husband and his wife were here again but this time without their children.

"Good afternoon Bode"

"So he now knows my name" I raised my eyes from behind the oxygen tube fixed to my nose.

"Good afternoon Mr..." I finally replied.

"Mr John Adetobi"

The beeping sound increased as it dawned on me that dead John was here lurking around me.

"The same John you know" John smiled and sat beside my bed.

"But... You... As in... You are dead! He shot you!" I stuttered.

The sound were now becoming more irregular and John's wife walked up to him and whispered to his ears.

"I don't want to disturb you now, I'll explain everything to you in detail" John held my hand close to him.

"I can take it now, even if that's the last thing I'll take before I die" I was too desperate to hear his story.

What next?
Watch out for the next episode
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...