Monday 30 July 2018

Boomerang Episode Sixteen

Title: Boomerang
Story by O'nezer

Episode 16

I bought enough small chops to accompany my journey. I couldn't sleep as I was deep in thought about everything.

"Where do I start from now?"
"What will my parents feel?"
"What if they found me?"
I felt bad and I would have cried again, but people were around. I missed my cigarettes and only a bottle of gin was with me and I didn't want to sleep for any reason.

I wanted to call my parents, but I feared the call from Sharp or anyone.

"I'll get a new sim card and call them when I arrive Calabar" I encouraged myself.

Calabar is a beautiful place and the mid-afternoon sun that shone on the buildings and art works made it awesome. I walked around a bit to find a shop where I can get some clothes to one, I'll be there for a while so I don't need anything expensive. change.

I asked around for hotels and their cost. I was soon directed to an affordable

I called my parents the following day and told them they could only reach me with that number.

"My phone was stolen" I lied.

Daddy believed and even sent me money for a new phone.

Two weeks into sleeping in hotels and buying food, I knew my money will soon be empty, I had to find something else to do aside smoking and drinking in the hotel room everyday. I didn't want to go back to my old life either, so I was careful to make a right choice.

I now walked around more often. I made friends and gradually learned their language. A month now in Calabar and I got a room self-contain somewhere in town. I had some business strategies and with the 300hundred thousand left in my account, I spent 250thousand to get a shop and established a wine shop somewhere close to the hotel I lodge at my arrival.

Business was blooming and I soon forget my fears save for my parents who were desperate to see me at home. I miss them too, but Segun and my other friends knew my house and they could kill me for killing Samson if I showed up at home. That was the rules! And I believe they knew I killed him because he killed John.

I wasn't on any social media again except WhatsApp with my new number. I didn't want anyone to know about me and I was soon becoming the youngest business man in that area.

Five years down the line and I had three different shops in different locations. Two for wine and one for fabrics. I had boys managing the other two branches for me. I already bought a house of my own. A 3bedroom flat with 2toilets and a spacious, well-furnished living room.

I was living well and most times gave to the less privileged and mostly orphanage homes. Two of my elder siblings got married already and despite pressures from my parents, I didn't go home. I got their account number from Tobi and sent them money always, but it got to a point they pleaded with me not to send them money again.

"If you won't come home to us, hold your money!" daddy voice on phone spoke of anger.

My elder brother and my elder sister tried all they could to make me change my mind or tell them what must have happened, but I wasn't ready to tell anyone I was a cultist and I killed someone.

I had all I wanted, but there was a challenge, despite the women who flocks around me during parties and at times just driving down the street, I wasn't interested in any lady.

I tried dating a girl Blessing as directed by one of my friends there. Blessing was pretty, she had the right shape to turn any guy on. She was a good cook and a fresh graduate, but the relationship only lasted for a year. I couldn't cope with her.

Relationship was absurd to me and the only meaningful relationship I had was with my cigarettes and alcoholic drink. It gave me great relief even though my teeth were now becoming dark from the smoke and sometimes I get into fits of cough that leaves me with a painful chest for days.

It was during the year end festive season. Sales were high, and I had to stay back at the shop to assist the boys working there. They could be dubious during this season and though I don't mind, I still want their stealing from me to be minimal.

I do swipe between the shops and this day, I was in the wine shop close to the hotel when I saw a couple approaching with the wife holding a child by the hand and the husband carrying another child, still a baby to his chest.

We sell alcohol and none alcoholic wine, so it was normal for anyone to bring his family to the shop. There were not the first of its kind, but their demeanor caught my attention from a distance.

The way they held hands could make a spinster or bachelor run to get married. The daughter, which the wife held by the hands was about 8 or 9years old and she was as cute as her mum, same with the baby boy the husband was holding and from the look of their daughter, I felt they were not young or newly wedded couples.

I shifted my attention from them and continued with what I was doing while one of my boys attended them.

I ran into them as I was rushing to make it to the other shops before the close of the day.

"John!" I screamed.

"What is the meaning of that?" he quizzed.

As of now, I was already collapsing to the floor and two of my boys were there asking what happened.

"He only screamed John" I heard his voice faintly.

What next?
Watch out for the next episode
Osunniranebenezer.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beautiful Scar Ep 8

Lakunle smiled and that left me with much confusion and questions in my head. "Could it be that he lost his brother?" "Could ...